Cyrus PSX-R - where is it most effective?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jaques Liverot, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jaques Liverot

Jaques Liverot

I use Cyrus amplification - an aCa7.5 and two SmartPowers, which are currently used in a bi-amping configuration as I prefer the sound to running them in mono mode.

I read in an article somewhere that Cyrus only recommend using the SmartPower in mono mode when using a PSX-R as well. The pre-amplifier can also be used with a PSX-R.

As there are plenty of PSX-Rs on Ebay, I thought I'd give them a go, but was wondering if anyone has similar equipment and could answer the following questions:

1. Where would the PSX-R make most difference? With the pre- or power-amplifiers?

2. What sort of difference does it make?

The power of the SmartPowers increases with the PSX-R, so I'm guessing I might gain a little in weight or conviction, but I'm wondering how the pre-amp would benefit.

Obviously I'm hoping that someone will say that the pre-amp gains most, so I can start by buying just one!

Jaques Liverot, Jan 2, 2008
  2. Jaques Liverot

Czechchris

I also use Cyrus amplification, but unfortunately I have not heard the aca7.5 nor smartpowers! I have the pre-X and adding a psx made a great difference. The whole sound was lifted to another level.
    With smarts in stereo as you have them, you could experiment with the one psx - put it on the pre, then bass smart then treble smart and listen for yourself. Even if you don't care for it, you should be able to resell with little loss.
    I'd say it's worth a punt.
    (I also have two on my powers to run my rear speakers and centre channel for av. I have mono-X amps on my main speakers and they do not take the psx.)

Czechchris, Jan 2, 2008
  3. Jaques Liverot

Tenson Moderator

It seems sensible it would make more difference to the pre since the lower level signals will be more sensitive to the purity of the power. Just my thoughts!

Tenson, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Jaques Liverot

hifinutt

speakers may benefit from more power so many would beef up the smarties with a psxr. however using the psxr with the pre would improve the sound as well. I currently use a pre xvs with the smarties in mono mode and am very happy. I prefer to improve sound with better power cables than with yet more boxes like psxr.

hifinutt, Jan 2, 2008
  5. Jaques Liverot

RobHolt Moderator

If SmartPowers are similar to the old regular 'Powers' you can only use them in mono mode with a PSX - they don't work without.
    That was the case with my old Powers - I had four, so eight boxes with the PSXRs connected!

FWIW while it certainly looked the business it sounded little better than a Cyrus 3.

RobHolt, Jan 2, 2008
  6. Jaques Liverot

robert_cyrus

The "smart" moniker is to indicate they dont need psx-r's to go "mono".
    I'd use the psxr on the preamp.

robert_cyrus, Jan 3, 2008
  7. Jaques Liverot

hifinutt

rob... I used my stereo smartie pluswith a psxr in the past. they are designed for that purpose. i sold it to a chap for the same purpose and many cyrus users do so

hifinutt, Jan 3, 2008
  8. Jaques Liverot

Hamilton

Hi Jaques - I had exactly the configuration you're describing a while back and IMHO the pre-amp is the place to put a PSX-R. In my system it made a big difference to the clarity/detail both of the sound as a whole and the stereo image. It also firmed up the bass and tamed a bit of harshness in the treble. I wouldn't recommend adding them to the Smarts. In my experience it did make a difference, but not so much, and if you were investing more in that area I'd suggest looking out for a pair of the APA7.5 monos (or any of the more recent models), which really are a significant step up from the Smarts. I think SmartPower + PSX-R isn't really that great in vfm terms - it is appealing to be able to upgrade, but if you want to stick with those cute little shoeboxes you're really better with the monos (and you won't have such a big pile of them).

Hamilton, Jan 7, 2008
  9. Jaques Liverot

shrink

i hate to be the guy to say it... but i wouldnt use a PSX-R on either of your components, i would replace your preamp with one of cyrus's better designs such as the preX or preXvs, doing so will offer you a sound improvement better than adding a PSX-R to any of your existing components.

If you want to keep your existing kit, then where you put the PSX-R probably boils down to your speaker choice, in that the smartpower responds well to the PSX-R when driving difficult loads, and as such adding it to the amp you use for bass/midrange would pay benefits.

If your speakers are easier to drive, then adding it to the pre could improve clarity and drive, but i strongly suspect using the money to improve your preamp would be a better bet.

shrink, Jan 7, 2008
Ask a Question