DAC in need of repair!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ali_x, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ali_x

ali_x

I changed my cd player the other day to my friends Roksan Caspian (which I should be buying).

Everything was fine until, yesterday my system started making a humming noise.

I worked out that it was my dac causing the noise.

I bought the dac (deltec/dpa bigger bit + RF mains cleaner) over e bay (to replace my little bit dac) about 3 months ago & had been using it with my NAD C521BEE cd player & although it worked, I had encountered a few problems:

It gave off minor electric shocks on some occasions!:yikes:

My system made a loud fuzzy noise whenever I loaded up a cd.

I did e mail the seller after experiencing these problems & he advised me that it might be an earthing problem & that I should probably stop using the dac until I fixed the problem. He also informed me that he had'nt experienced any of these problems.

I ignored the advice & continued to use the dac thinking it still did the job & I did'nt want to have to stop using it having only just bought it! (I know this was probably quite stupid).

Im now having to make do with the little bit dac again...:(

Does anyone know what problem I might have with my dac & whether it will be worthwhile trying to get it fixed? (or should I just look for a new dac?):confused: .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2006
    ali_x, Aug 7, 2006
  2. ali_x

ali_x

I don't know how ive managed to post this thread so many times.

The computer did'nt seem to be working so I kept pressing submit, then next thing I know there's my thread submitted about five times!.

This is very embarrassing!...:eek:

ali_x, Aug 7, 2006
  3. ali_x

Tenson Moderator

If you go to advanced edit and delete your first post you can delete the thread I think. Having said that I think maybe they disabled that after I did it once ;)

Tenson, Aug 7, 2006
  4. ali_x

ali_x

No such luck!.

I can delete the text, but not the actual thread...:crazy:

ali_x, Aug 7, 2006
  5. ali_x

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Don't worry, I've deleted the duplicate threads! No need to be embarassed, if computers behaved as we wanted, rather a lot of us would be out of a job!

Telkman, Aug 7, 2006
  6. ali_x

ali_x

Ok!...:D (nice work)

ali_x, Aug 7, 2006
  7. ali_x

zanash

I see your in Nottingham ......if you pm me I may be able to help. At worst I can have a quick look and say no idea!

Dacs tend to be relatively simple and an earthing problem should not be too difficult [famous last words]

PM me if your interested and we can sort something out.

zanash, Aug 8, 2006
  8. ali_x

felix part-time Horta

There could be two different things going on here.

The shocks are likely to be down to the RF filter. The 'The Power' is a handbuilt circuit using multiple cascaded X and Y caps and aircore inductors in a Lincoln Binns case. The case is bonded to mains earth (and the case to the dac should be also) If your earth connection on the supply lead into the filter is missing (or weak) however, the current fro th Y-aps is not drained and you'll feel a tingle from the case and all attached equipment. So - check your mains lead for earth continuity, the earth bond inside the filter - and the wall socket you're plugged into (eg does it happen elsewhere in the house? )

Buzzing noises from the Bigger Bit could be down to RF/earth leakage issues (becasu of the earth fault) or a sign that the 3-pin regulator(s) in the Bigger Bit are dying - poor heatsinking is a known issue on the Little & Bigger Bit dacs. Very easy to fix, and do replace the PSU caps while you're in there.

If any of this sounds a bit daunting, Chevin Audio is experienced with Deltec / DPA gear and can fix these devices for you :)

felix, Aug 8, 2006
  9. ali_x

ali_x

Ive tried using the dac without the rf filter, but the noise is still there, so I don't think this is the problem. I have previously got a shock from the filter unit also however.

My friends dad has had a look inside the dac, but could'nt find anything wrong...:(

Ive heard chevin audio being mentioned before & if they have experience with deltec dac's, I should probably get in contact with them & see if they can help, as fixing electrical devices myself does seem a bit daunting.

Thanks for the offer Zanash!. Will have to see how I get on...

ali_x, Aug 8, 2006
  10. ali_x

smegger68

Over on Pink Fish Media, user DPA_SERVICE is in fact a guy called Tom, who used to be DPA's service engineer. Drop him a PM about getting your DAC fixed, he has quite a stock of spares apparently.

smegger68, Aug 9, 2006
  11. ali_x

ali_x

Ive only just got round to sending an e mail off to chevin...

The bigger bit dac seems to still be working with my nad cd player!!:mad: .

I do know my friend recently changed the digital connection of the roksan from a bnc varient, but im sure this should'nt have any affect.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
    ali_x, Aug 10, 2006
Ask a Question