Dac or integrated?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by steve18, Dec 12, 2007.

1. steve18

steve18

I'm using a DPA Enlightenment drive and DX32 dac. The power lead on the dac cuts out and when moved slightly to make a connection a very loud crackle/hiss is heard. The question is will any dac work with the Enlightenment drive? Recommendations gratefuly received.

Alternatively, how would newer integrated cd players like the Roksan Kandy MKIII and Rega Apollo stand up against the DPA? (12 years old).
    Looking forward to a system where all the bits work!!

Thanks.

steve18, Dec 12, 2007
  2. steve18

felix part-time Horta

Hi Steve, yes any dac will work because the Enlightenment has both optical and coax SPDIF out. You can't use the 'Deltran' link of course, but in that case the transport runs fine off it's own internal clock.

(Have you tried other kettle leads to check if its the plug or socket at fault..?)

felix, Dec 12, 2007
  3. steve18

steve18

Hi Martin,
    Haven't had much spare time lately, just turned it off in disgust!
    Will check connections and with another lead at the weekend (probably something I should've done before posting!). Did you see my previous post - the amp is buzzing again (turned it off quickly before the speaker got too warm!). Have an AVI S2000MI running at the moment, or will have when dac sorted/replaced so I guess the DPA has been retired, for now anyway.

steve18, Dec 12, 2007
  4. steve18

felix part-time Horta

The IEC sockets fitted are pretty standard and can be easily swapped with a soldering iron if needed. But I reckon it's probably just a tired IEC cable plug (I hate 'em!) causing the problem.

Oh damn, I missed that. Sorry to hear this - I tried really hard to provoke it, too, in its over-long sojourn here :(

felix, Dec 12, 2007
  5. steve18

Andrew Kinsey

A good DA converter will remove any jitter induced by a poor transport. My advice would be to get a premium quality DA and never look back.

Andrew Kinsey, Dec 12, 2007
  6. steve18

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I agree with him!

Purite Audio, Dec 12, 2007
  7. steve18

felix part-time Horta

Ah, but many of the DPA dacs went the extra mile: the master clock is resident in the dac, at point of conversion, and the DPA transport gets slaved to it via the deltran link. Jitter is then banished without the use of ASRC * While 'jitter' isn't the whole story of course these dacs are still very, very good.

* which isn't quite the perfect solution that Marketing would have you believe; though some obviously get outstanding results this way.

felix, Dec 12, 2007
  8. steve18

Neil

Steve - repair / upgrade of your DAC can be done by Chevin Audio or by ex -dpa employees. These e-dacs need a power supply tweak if left on 24/7 as there are overheating problems. Its a relatively easy fix. Your symptoms sound like a bad connection at the IEC plug or socket rather than anything else. The transport will be fine with other DACs but without the sync lock (deltran) you lose quite a lot. fwiw Mr Watts believed that a good percentage of the sound is due to the DAC rather than the transport. Are your Enlightenments the stainless steel ones or the powder finish. If the transport is a late 24 bit (TEAC non VRDS mech) its very rare indeed.

Neil, Dec 13, 2007
  9. steve18

ditton happy old soul

ditton, Dec 13, 2007
  10. steve18

steve18

Thanks for the replies.
    Obviously I'd rather keep the dac healthy in old age so repair it is if needed.

Neil - Enlightenments are powder finish, don't know about 24 bit.

Ditton - If repair is not an option I'll look into the Dax Decade.

steve18, Dec 14, 2007
  11. steve18

steve18

Well, it was the power lead! Tried a DPA (black slink?) lead and it works. My assumption that it was the dac at fault was based on many things breaking down over the last 2 months - dishwasher, central heating and a leak in the roof directly over my computer monitor! Hopefully that's it for a while. Thanks for the advice and happy Xmas.

steve18, Dec 19, 2007
  12. steve18

Neil

Good to hear it's fixed - I love these DPA Dacs. The power lead was called 'power slink' and was often a 'hand wound' cable!!
    The black slink cable was an upgraded lead offered to improve the "coax" connection between Transport and DAC - it was a £125 option to the standard digilink cable and was a .75m length of black slink terminated with wbt phonos. Worth trying if you use the coax out as opposed to the optical out from the transport.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
    Neil, Dec 19, 2007
Ask a Question