DAC to cure CDP 'ringing'

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

In general system is pretty well balanced, errors of omission rather than anything particularly nasty. The one niggle is a slight ringing to the top end which has finally been localised to the CDP. This may be what people refer to as glare or grain I don't know - it's not particularly harsh or even immediately obvious, but it is just a bit unpleasant. I am generally happier listening to vinyl and to a degree FM, but practicalities dictate that CD gets a fair bit of use, not least because I have plenty of CDs that I like to listen to! The player is a Cyrus CD6 - why not change that? well I like everything else it does (would have been equally happy with the equivalent Rega at the time but a top loader wouldn't be viable at present).

So is there a moderately priced DAC that will sort this? Must have optical input as CD6 only has optical out.

Amp is Cyrus C6, speakers PMC DB1 and no the problem is not that the sound is too bright or forward!

Coda II, Jan 23, 2007
  2. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

Apologies in advance for self advertising, but I would have thought a modded DEQ2496 would be an ideal candidate with the added bonus of room correction on top :)

In a few weeks I should have a modded unit which people can borrow for a trial period if you are interested.

Tenson, Jan 23, 2007
  3. Coda II

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I never found the DEQ2496 to be a particularly stellar DAC, and always found I got a better result using the digital output of the DEQ into the SuperDAC. No doubt mods can improve it, but there are more inexpensive DACs (NOS, superDAC) that do music better out of the box (and these can be modded also).

A DAC may (or may not) significantly alter the sound of a CD player, so you might lose some of the things that to your ears the CD6 does right. It isn't, as far as I'm aware, a particularly amazing transport and the optical o/p does not help matters.

I-S, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Coda II

Maybe the wrong analogy, but I'm kind of thinking along the lines of DAC is to CDP what phono stage is to TT. Looks like there is a fair bit on here about the superDAC from a couple of years back.

Coda II, Jan 23, 2007
  5. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

You are right, in stock form it is not a fantastic DAC (though not bad), but when you completely change the output stage, you essentially have a completely different DAC based on the same chipset (which is rather good!), with room correction and loads of other features.

You would be welcome to try it for a bit if you like Isaac.

Tenson, Jan 23, 2007
  6. Coda II

robert_cyrus

robert, a dad3 may be the way forward. might take a while to source one in good condition, but mine has never exhibited ringing.
    much smoother than recent cyrus players. i couldn't live with an 8.
    demoed an 8 and 8 amp combo recently, could almost strip wallpaper playing joni mitchell blue when she hit the higher registers!

robert_cyrus, Jan 23, 2007
  7. Coda II

thanks Robert, you know what I mean though don't you?

Trying to decide whether there will be a reason for a separate DAC at home in the not too distant future - on the end of a squeezebox or similar.

Coda II, Jan 23, 2007
  8. Coda II

darrenwm

darrenwm, Jan 24, 2007
  9. Coda II

hmmm, wonder what former Cyrus owners think of the Meridian sound....

Coda II, Jan 24, 2007
  10. Coda II

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Simon - I might take you up on that at some point, but before too long I shall have moved on from DACs anyway.

I-S, Jan 24, 2007
  11. Coda II

shrink

Coda.... see your escaping the confines of the CU forum today :)

i agree with robert that modern cyrus players are just too top heavy, add this to the similar balance from their amps andthe clean treble of your speakers and its no wonder you find the top end a touch glarey.

I would try an older cyrus player like the dad3Q (rather than the 3 which isnt as smooth as the Q or Q24) or a slightly newer CD7Q which has all the strengths of the dad3Q24 but brings better bass control and better image depth to the table.

you could of course investigate the likes of primare and meridian, but given your preference for the looks of the cyrus kit i would suggest trying to pick up an older one of these.

Im a very happy CD7Q user myself

shrink, Jan 24, 2007
Ask a Question