DAC64...an optical illusion?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Mar 26, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Friend of mine who's currently using a Meridian 507 as a transport for his DAC64 thought it was a waste of a 507 to be using it just as a transport so he was looking for a downgrade, something with an optical digital output of course ;)

And we're talking downgrade - like a Sony D-EJ985 CD Walkman :D

So - we got it charged up and running on batteries and then hooked it up to (my) DAC64. First obvious issue is that it only sends a digital signal down the TosLink cable when it's playing so the DAC has to re-lock on each time you press play. This might reduce the effectiveness of the DAC64s buffer system, especially for the first few seconds of music. Also, the DAC64 occasionally goes a bit loopy when it's idling without a digital lock. I've heard it do things like very quietly repeat a small snatch of music over and over again or make some really horrible screeching noises in that condition :eek:

There's also no remote control on the discman and the controls there are are pretty fiddly. Then again I don't think Sony had a hifi CD transport in mind when they were designing it :)

OK, so how does it sound? Well, pretty bloody good! We did a few comparisons against my Teac T1 though and realised that, you guessed it, there is a difference. With the discman the sound is "smaller", less full and less involving. It's not a :mana: difference by any means but it's a difference that can't be denied.

So, in the fairly extreme comparison of a CD walkman against a Teac T1 which has been tweaked and clocked to within an inch of its life there is a difference between transports, even using an optical connection, with the DAC64. It's small, but definitely there.

We weren't using the same optical cable as the discman's output is of the small toslink variety and the only small->big toslink cable we could find was 1.5m long which probably isn't ideal. I'd like to try with a shorter cable to be sure that signal loss wasn't a factor.

Also, I suspect the discman not putting out a constant clock signal (only when playing) for the DAC to stay locked onto somehow makes the buffer algorithm less effective.

An interesting experiment though.

I have a feeling that when my mate gets a bit more cash together after selling the 507 and his Musical Fidelity A1000 amp he might be looking for a slightly better, and slightly more practical transport ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 26, 2004
  2. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Another possibility is that Sony's G-Protection system is mucking things up.

The discman in question has both G-Pro 1 & 2 and allthough Sony claim only to use digital compression (to minimize the RAM required for the buffer) in mode 2, they may use it in mode 1 aswell, in a less severe way. Personally though I doubt they would do that, especially since G-Pro can't be disabled entirely on the discman.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 26, 2004
  3. michaelab

A1000

Getting rid of his A1000, is he mad?
    Please keep me updated with the replacement. I am interested in his thoughts on the current sound and where he will move to.
    Ta.

A1000, Mar 26, 2004
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

He's already replaced the A1000....with a NAD S300 :)

He felt the A1000 just didn't have the clout required to drive his Dynaudio Craffts properly.

The A1000 is not an easy amp to sell, especially in Portugal. Very few people have heard of it and many get put off by reliability concerns. Net result is he hasn't been able to fund the S300 purchase with the sale of the A1000 which is another reason he's selling the 507 which is a lot easier to sell - being a multiple magazine award winner :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 26, 2004
  5. michaelab

A1000

More power yes but better ????
    Correct move for speakers with low sensitivity, like your friend has but at 89db and over no contest!

Try e-bay. I know they sell well in the UK. One sold within the last month. Last I saw it was at £720.

Nice finish on those Silverline amps, saw them at the Bristol show when they came out.

A1000, Mar 26, 2004
  6. michaelab

PeteH Natural Blue

Awwww! I want one! I want one! Aaaargh...must...save...money... :student:

PeteH, Mar 26, 2004
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

What - an A1000 or an S300?
    Michael.

michaelab, Mar 26, 2004
  8. michaelab

PeteH Natural Blue

I'm lusting after an S300 ATM - my S500 is feeling a little let down by my Marantz 6010KI, and my Quad 22Ls are gasping for the chance to show what they're really made of :(

PeteH, Mar 27, 2004
  9. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Pete, your lusting after a S300 eh?, have you dbt one?, if so against which others?, or had a home demo (extented of coarse) to gain these suluberious thoughts ? or just like the look if it. :)
    My personal views, they are a pretty passable amp for cash, nice built Q. too Wm

wadia-miester, Mar 27, 2004
  10. michaelab

PeteH Natural Blue

Yep, that'd be it. Call me shallow, but they're nice. Will be considering all options when the time comes though :)

PeteH, Mar 27, 2004
  11. michaelab

Robbo

When it is time, dont forget to try out some valve based options, those quads should go well with valves. If you are not too far from me you could always bring them round and try them in my valve based system.

Robbo, Mar 27, 2004
  12. michaelab

PeteH Natural Blue

Well that's a very kind offer, and I'll certainly bear it in mind :)

PeteH, Mar 28, 2004
Ask a Question