Dac64 cutout issues?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by steveh, Nov 4, 2005.

1. steveh

steveh

Hi all - not been on here for months but it's good to see a few of the familiar names :)

Has anyone on here who has experience with the DAC64 come across cutout problems with it?

When I was using a Bow Wizard as a transport the DAC64 used to regularly cut out when the heating tripped, but I switched to a Tag transport and the problem went away (I think because of differences in the earthing), until tonight, when it suddenly started doing it again for no obvious reason, even with the heating off. I've turned the whole system off and will leave it off overnight in case there's static buildup, but otherwise I'm at a loss.

Anyone got any ideas/solutions that don't involve replacing the DAC? Is this a known problem with the DAC 64?

Thanks, Steve

steveh, Nov 4, 2005
  2. steveh

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Sounds a lot like what was up with the one I was lent. I think it was something to do with the power circuitry (something was pulling one of the rails down). I couldn't fix it in the time I had it (one evening).

I-S, Nov 4, 2005
  3. steveh

steveh

Thanks Isaac.

Problem solved I think - the power lead to the tranpsort had almost come unplugged. Tightened up the power lead and the interconnect and all seems to be back to normal again.

The Dac64 does seem to be very sensitive to stuff like this, but it's such an awesome beast I'll live with it. For the record, I don't find mine at all harsh, in my system it's just very very rhythmic, "boppy" and detailed, but I have a "valvelike" (apparently) Bow amp and Sonus Faber speakers so there's not a lot of harshness there to begin with :MILD:

updated 07/11 - b*gger, problem not solved after all, but I spoke to Chord this morning and this appears to be a recognised issue with a free upgrade/modification available. They're having it picked up from my office by courier and it will be couriered back to me, modified and checked over, by the end of the week - 10/10 for customer service!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
    steveh, Nov 6, 2005
Ask a Question