DACs Who needs one? - Do I?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Mar 8, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

Being fairy new to HiFi - wel post eighties - just making a comeback and enjoying finding all those lost favourites, now available on CD, and the odd really good vinyl in charity shops and jumble sales. The question is do I need a DAC? CD is a Marantz 67SE, pre amp - Tag McLaren into two (by the end of the week) Monarchy Audio SM70 Pros and out through Elac 301 jets -

IF so?

What is a bargain availabe on Ebay - one with an attenuator plus balanced outputs might do the trick?

Is a DAC worth the expense?:confused:

dreftar, Mar 8, 2006
  2. dreftar

julian2002 Muper Soderator

it depends really. there are 2 possibly 3 'big' reasons for a dac.

1) you have multiple digital sources (cd, pc audio, dab, minidisk, dat, etc.) and want to improve all of them in one hit.

2) you have an existing 'transport' and want to improve it and get maximum bang for your buck - this is very dependant on synergy between transport and dac (imho, ime, etc. some say transports don;t make a difference, some say an upsampling dac is transport independant, some say the opposite, it's a whole can of worms, i say trust your own ears).

3) you have only digital sources and want to go the direct injection route. i.e find a dac with a digital volume control a la wadia, audio synthesis, etc. and connect the dac directly to your power amps thus bypassing the need for a pre amp. some love it some hate it.

most other reasons boil down to cosmetics / willy waving however if you think a dac improves the sound of your cd replay then great.
    biggest thing is to try before you buy or make sure that you can sell again for at least what you paid.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Mar 8, 2006
  3. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Of course you need one, its another toy to play with!!

Do you have a budget if you did want one?

Actually I think the Behringer DEQ2496 is a pretty good DAC. And when modded it is unbeatable. It is a lot more than just a DAC though! Worth hearing.

Tenson, Mar 9, 2006
  4. dreftar

badchamp Thermionic Member

Also separate DAC/ Transport does allow you to upgrade in stages. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a front end as good as I've got if I'd had a one box player.

Jeff

badchamp, Mar 9, 2006
  5. dreftar

ditton happy old soul

where in Scotland are you? There are quite a few ZG's scattered about this part of the world and several have DACs - and hearing is believing.

ditton, Mar 9, 2006
  6. dreftar

speedy.steve

speedy.steve, Mar 9, 2006
  7. dreftar

dreftar

To DAC or Not To DAC

IM way up north on one of the Shetland Isles.

dreftar, Mar 9, 2006
  8. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Mar 9, 2006
  9. dreftar

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Ultrasonic, Mar 10, 2006
  10. dreftar

ditton happy old soul

which one? I once stayed on Fetlar (as well as Mainland) in my yoof. had a great address for a while:
    Tresta
    Fetlar
    Shetland
    Scotland

I once had an Arcam CD72 (its now 'on loan' to daughter) and the difference that a dedicated dac has meant is HUGE, albeit that I now do have first-class dac (with vol control so I can do without an 'interfering' pre-amp), and with a s/h transport that cost not a lot. So do try a walk on the dac side ...

ditton, Mar 10, 2006
  11. dreftar

dreftar

Home on the Range

dreftar, Mar 10, 2006
  12. dreftar

ditton happy old soul

'what a difference a dac makes ...'

a lot depends on your budget. As indicated earlier, and see sig., the Dax Decade and other dax's by AudioSynthesis enjoy good reputation here and elsewhere, and can be had s/h on such as hififorsale.com. The Balanced version costs more of course (but is now what I have, to good effect) as does the Black Gates upgrade (ditto). There is also the Dax2, that Julian had at one time. On my upigrade path I also had the older Meridian 203 and 606, which were cheaper buys but bought with the 200 and 602 transports, both of which are good value.

ditton, Mar 10, 2006
  13. dreftar

ditton happy old soul

I'd also recommend looking at that Behringer DEQ2496 if room issues is a worry, and soon or later it will be something you worry about, like much else ....

ditton, Mar 10, 2006
  14. dreftar

dreftar

Quite a Toy

Checked out the website. My goodness if ever you get fed up with the music, what a toy - could keep you fiddling for ever - One question tho - can you attenuate the output, like a volume control so that it could connect directly to the power amps?:confused:

dreftar, Mar 10, 2006
  15. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

You can but not easily. It is not designed to be a pre-amp. There is an input attenuation of -15dB and another -15dB on the dynamics section. On the back of the unit there is also a switch for pro or consumer output levels so using all these together gives a lot of control over the level but is a pain and not good for the sound quality.

Tenson, Mar 10, 2006
  16. dreftar

dreftar

Thanks for that - thought I had found a cheap way to go balanced - not quite, it appears, as I do have need to quickly attenuate the signal when "she who must be obeyed" enters the room.

dreftar, Mar 10, 2006
  17. dreftar

dreftar

Just a thought, Would - Using two stepped attenuators in the signal path do the trick

dreftar, Mar 10, 2006
  18. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

They would do it very nicely. Part of the mods I am planning to do to mine and perhaps offer to others is to 'direct inject' as it were, the signal from the DAC chip to a pair of attenuating transformers. i.e. the S&B TX-102's.

For a cheaper option try this Dale Vishay stepped attenuator - http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/potentiometers.html
    Could be done shunt style I'd think.

Tenson, Mar 10, 2006
  19. dreftar

ditton happy old soul

as I said, bidget matters. I never thought that I would shell out a grand for a dac, but I did for the Dax Decade, and have never regretted it. the difference was amazing, it brought the muscians inro my living room in a way I had never imagined. and yes, it has a volume control.

ditton, Mar 11, 2006
  20. dreftar

gregf

I second the DAX Decade. Get the balanced version as it makes quite a difference if your amps are truly balanced. The volume control works well but I prefer a preamp. Give David at Audiosynthesis a call. Sometimes he has second hand DAX Decades at very good prices and condition and he is a nice and honest guy.

gregf, Mar 11, 2006
Ask a Question