DACS with volume controls

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Philip King, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Philip King

Philip King Enlightened User

Hi there all,

looking at getting a list together of potential DAC's with digital volume controls for analogue output in.

I already have a Wadia 25, and I know about the Mark Levinson 39/390 stuff, but what else is there out there, Theta, Bel Canto, MSB etc?

Seem to think a lot of Pro Audio stuff has this feature, Apogee and Bellringher (?) spring to mind.

Any ideas on price would be useful too, thanks

Philip King, Mar 30, 2005
  2. Philip King

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Phil,

I think you mean an ADC instead possibly?

wadia-miester, Mar 30, 2005
  3. Philip King

Just to clarify the poor grammer in the first post.

I'm looking for a DAC with a pre amp section built in.

(I know I have one already but I have a plan hatching)

Philip King, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Philip King

Mike

Accuphase cdp's also have a digital volume control built-in allowing you to direct connect to a power amp.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike, Mar 30, 2005
  5. Philip King

RSC

Monarchy Audio Model 33B is a 3 (line level) analogue input & 3 digital input (opti+co-ax+AES-EBU) pre-amp, with analogue volume control, sample rate conversion etc.
    I might be selling mine soon...
    And if anyone needs an Analogue-to-Digital Convertor, I have a Marantz SX72, which I could also be persuaded to part with...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
    RSC, Mar 30, 2005
  6. Philip King

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Just in case you want to widen your net by taking another viewpoint: an AV processor/preamp often has an inbuilt DAC, e.g., the outdated linn 5103 is excellent as a stereo preamp and has an inbuilt DAC that sounds as good as the Numerik DAC as a free bonus. Since they have been superseded as regards their (also free bonus) 5-channel decoding, they go for maybe as low as £1000 these days. If that's too downmarket for you ;) more recent and more expensive AV processors have this capability

SteveC, Mar 30, 2005
  7. Philip King

zanash

don't foget the good old Quad99cdp

zanash, Mar 30, 2005
  8. Philip King

kane

how about the new cyrus dac xp?

got an excellent review in this month's hfc

not cheap...£2200

kane

kane, Mar 30, 2005
  9. Philip King

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I was also seriously looking for a cdp with preamp stage. Discounted 390s as too sterile, wadia as pre stage isn't so great, then I heard the resolution audio opus 21 which is super smooth and open (listened to it directly into bryston 4bsst). I had settled on this as my prefect front end, going directly into atc active 50's. However....

It now seems from others more experienced than I, that this isn't as good as this combo: any reasonable cd or dvd (acting as a transport via optical out) into benchmark dac1 (buffered dac and simple pre amp in one tiny box), into an atc ca2 pre amp, into active atc 50's. It seems there is a sonic benefit to having the atc ca2 pre amp in the chain, rather than use the pre section from the dac1. As much as I want as few boxes as possible, it seems I'll have to put up with a ca2 in the loop. I will shortly be hearing all this on an A-B test, so I'll report back in a few weeks.... when I order everything I think is best.

pauldixonuk, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Philip King

Interesting thinking guys, thanks. Ball park figure for the Monarchy RSC?

Philip King, Mar 31, 2005
  11. Philip King

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Paul, have you been on pink fish by any chance?

bottleneck, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Philip King

big_ben_jitter Wotwotwotwotwotwotwot!

TacT RCS or S2150 or Best of all TDA2200 with the facility of a room correction module available arroung september for about £700. 1 box solution. TDA currently £2150 or £2400 with A to D card. It's a power DAC so you can loose your amp also. Has analogue outs to which can be used for subwoofer control.

Regards
    Ben

big_ben_jitter, Mar 31, 2005
  13. Philip King

I would beg to differ Paul :)

wadia-miester, Mar 31, 2005
  14. Philip King

RSC

Private message for Philip King...

RSC, Mar 31, 2005
  15. Philip King

I'd say I'm very happy with the Wadia pre stage, this questions was for a different project and hopefully a cheaper one ;-) The Wadia digital Pre in the 25 is better than the analogue Levinson pre I had before it.

Philip King, Mar 31, 2005
  16. Philip King

Yes I've been on PFM - I use my real name everywhere.

I'm sure the better 800 wadia's are ok, but the entry level 302 has a pre section that's not as good as a stand alone unit, it seems.

If someone has a one box solution to equal the sound of bechmark / ca2, for 390s money, then I'm all ears......

17. Philip King

Paul,

Yes I would agree on the 302 Its pants imho.
    I run 2 benchmarks, one seriously improved and well to be honest, its ok but nothing more (Even level matched) not my bag, but a good unit for the dosh.

18. Philip King

Have you heard an opus21? Wondered how you rate this against the benchmark if so?

19. Philip King

Yes Paul, I owned an Opus 21 for a few weeks, in 2004 A client traded one. I used in the second system for a while.
    There's a lot of hype about NOS dac's/Benchmarks, cut through the reefer smoke, and you have 2 capable pieces of equipment, both doing different presentations and giving good preformance for the outlay, obviously the Benchmark has greater flexibility and a preamp section, plus high samples (If that floats your boat).
    Imho the Nos dac requires a decent psu and internal reworking as minimum, though even adding this up I still reckon £250-£300 max, but its different and NOT better, if that presentation gives you a smile then embrace it :)
    Lots have.
    The Benchmark, is a different bag, its more refined *it can be hard in a lot of systems* careful selection of mains componants and signal transmission matches helps.
    The Dac1 is vastly more open, and detailed, yet less focussed and textured, I'm not that convinced that either with groove that well, yet this is not a consideration for a lot of 'hifi presentation guys'
    Its also 'Jitter resistant' :D with its special Jitter elimination technology, so there fore transports or cables make no difference according to the manufactures :rolleyes:
    Where as the Nos preformance can seriouisly be upped by the use of a quality REDBOOK transport.
    Back to the question would I choose between the opus 21 and the Benchmark?, I would answer I'm afraid you'll have to listen for yourself Paul, as I would have neither, best to try in your own system over a period of time.
    I would try a Wadia 25 or 27 or MSB Platinum Dac. Wm

Ask a Question