Dads will do stupid things - Car door damage

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Feb 6, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My dad parked in a really rough part of Old Trafford (don't ask why) anyway scallies have tried to force the door open and there is now a 2" gap on the top.

Is there anyway you can force the door back to its original shape or will it need a new door? We can't claim on the insurance because he will loose his no claims.

amazingtrade, Feb 6, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Yep you'll need a new door. Inside the pillars are steel reinforcements, Once they get bent back and broken the door won't be secure again. Best look for a good one of a scrapper. Go have a look round Pimhole Lane in Bury

lordsummit, Feb 7, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

I had suspected as much, Isuppose the good news is there will be plenty of car doors in the scrap yard. How hard is fitting a car door? I can transfer all the elctrics over really easily, though I won't be able to change the lock over I don;t think, is it a real nightmare to fit a car door?

amazingtrade, Feb 7, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

No you just undo the strip it down, take all the electrics out and then undo the bolts on the old door, sometimes it's easier to remove the hinges from the car, rather than the door from the hinges. Then attach the hinges to the new door, and start to fiddle. you'll need two of you because you've got to realign everything up. I'm not sure about the lock, I've never changed one, but haynes will tell you how to do it. If it's an old car, just buy a key as well call it a security feature. If you go somewhere like Pimhole lane there'll be loads to choose from, you might be lucky and get one the right colour

lordsummit, Feb 7, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Yep thats the over problem, it has the be the right colour, its an old car but its in very good condition and condition is important, its not got to look like an old car, and most customers don't notice its an old car.

I will have a look this weekend and suss it out,

amazingtrade, Feb 7, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

A quick blowover spray on the door, about £50, the door about £50 again. Otherwise you're on the insurance. I'd probably do that, but then I've got full no claims and a protected bonus. Mind you the excess is probably the cost of a cheap repair

lordsummit, Feb 8, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Remeber that bad accident my dad had in the punto that wrote of two cars (the Pegouet 106 was suffered so bad frontal damage you could not regconise it) well that was two claims as my dad admited liability.

I think we will need to get a machnaic to fix it too, I don;t want to this myself in case I can't get the door back on!

The only other problem is the electrics will the door come with the electrics or will they need to transfer the electric window motor/central locking over to the new door?

amazingtrade, Feb 8, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Depends on the yard. I'd expect you though just to get a door and nowt else

lordsummit, Feb 9, 2005
Ask a Question