Damn Ebay :-(

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shrink, Apr 26, 2006.

1. shrink

shrink

well... thats my epos speakers... apparently sold.. for a staggering £520.... hardly earth shattering.. and nowhere near what i wanted for them

However the pain doesnt end there.

They were won by someone with 0 feedback.. who as of yet hasnt bothered to get in touch.. in spite of being there in the last 15 seconds to bid.

To compound matters... my speakers were collection only.... and yet this guy lives in Essex.... id love to see how he's going to pull off a collection from way down there,

however.. due to the many rules of ebay.. i cant report this guy to be what i suspect him to be until 3 days have passed without contact. So its now just a waiting game.

shrink, Apr 26, 2006
  2. shrink

avanzato

It's a bitch isn't it and don't you have to wait 7 days before eBay lets you finally confirm they're a NPB. Then they'll only refund the final value fees. Are you going to try and salvage something by giving the loosing bidder a second chance offer?

avanzato, Apr 26, 2006
  3. shrink

shrink

well the guy actually phoned..... so not sure what to be thinking to be honest.

i suggested that althought expensive a courier may be a better idea... as its still cheaper than petrol for that kind of journey.

he says he does a lot of haulage at his work and is gonna try and sort something out tomorrow, he said they were an impulse buy and as such he's a little disorganised.

Watch this space!!

shrink, Apr 26, 2006
  4. shrink

shrink

if they dont sell or i cant move them on then i dunno.. i cant beleive how little interest there has been in what is in my opinion an absolutely stunning speaker.

i wouldnt even be selling them if i wasnt pretty desperate for the money.

shrink, Apr 26, 2006
  5. shrink

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Its only been half an hour or so.... give the guy a chance! Maybe he's phoning his mates to see who can lend him a van:D

You might want to email him to check he paid attention to the local pickup only notice.

alanbeeb, Apr 26, 2006
  6. shrink

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Ignore my last post.... sounds a bit more hopeful now.

alanbeeb, Apr 26, 2006
  7. shrink

Tenson Moderator

Same for mine! There seems to be very little interest in good equipment at the moment. Though I think it is starting to pick up a little bit.

Do you even want to sell them for that much money?

Tenson, Apr 26, 2006
  8. shrink

anubisgrau

well there is no good time and bad time at least not as much as you think..... i was observing some EAR 864 on german e-bay that was for a long time crawling around 400-500E, eventually it went for around 1200E
    the same with njoe tjoeb reference,1 hour before the end it was still 200E, than it went for 650E. too much for almost 3 years old machine...
    so it just depends what you sell. our views barely go together with what masses want, especially if you don't sell a giant killer or similar. that's why i am not going to put my krell preamp on ebay, unless i decide to pass it on for 200 quid or so.

anubisgrau, Apr 26, 2006
  9. shrink

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i seem to remember august bank holiday or one of the later bank holidays as being a really good time to have stuff for sale - i got about 5 queries about old ads i'd forgotten to remove from hi-fi for sale then. seems like it's after most peoples summer hols and xmas is too far away to think about so people have a bit of un earmarked cash. that's my guess.

julian2002, Apr 27, 2006
  10. shrink

anon_bb Honey Badger

Hifi equipment just isnt worth that much 2nd hand any more.

anon_bb, Apr 27, 2006
  11. shrink

la toilette Downright stupid

...unless you happen to own vintage stuff like Leak or Quad valve stuff, or old Tannoys etc etc. The value of some stuff just continues to rise, as does demand!

Anyway, not much does hold much of its value when 2nd hand, that's the attraction of buying it....it's cheaper....!

la toilette, Apr 27, 2006
  12. shrink

zanash

I sold some quad gear to germany and got twice what I expected !

But ebay is strange place.

Still there are bargins to be had....and lemons too.

I should give the chap a few days to get things organised before you get too anxious.

zanash, Apr 27, 2006
  13. shrink

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Ebay giveth, and eBay taketh away! I've had plenty of (very very good) bargains and very few lemons along the way. On balance, the good deals far outweigh the bad ones.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 27, 2006
  14. shrink

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Not meaning to be rude, but if they "went for much less than I wanted for them" why didn't you set up a reserve on them?

Which Epos' were they, out of curiosity?

domfjbrown, Apr 27, 2006
  15. shrink

shrink

i did set a reserve.. which to be honest im happy enough to take... id just hoped there would have been a lot more action on whats quite a rare.. and pretty special speaker.

they were EPOS ES30 se's late 2000 model special editions... £2550 only 6 years ago... and worth £520 now..... its a sorry sorry day for hi-fi.

shrink, Apr 27, 2006
  16. shrink

Cloth-Ears

Did the buyer turn out ok then ?

Was that you trying to message me last night ? My box was full, but I've now trimmed it down.

Cloth-Ears, Apr 27, 2006
  17. shrink

Tenson Moderator

It's not that that’s all they are worth, there is just not a lot of interest at the moment. Keep plugging away and when you find someone who is seriously interested rather than just making crappy offers hoping for the best, you will get what they are worth.

Try sticking them in studio related mags and forums as being good for mastering.

Tenson, Apr 27, 2006
  18. shrink

anon_bb Honey Badger

"Worth" is what someone is willing to pay on the market. It has no other meaning and therefore it is only worth that much at that time.

You can of course hang on waiting for something in the upper part of the bid distribution.

80% depreciation is pretty steep though.

anon_bb, Apr 27, 2006
  19. shrink

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Pretty much the same depreciation as a car I reckon.

Bob McC, Apr 27, 2006
  20. shrink

unclepuncle

Can't knock ebay myself. I've bought and sold shedloads of hifi and computer parts on it and have always got pretty much what I anticipated and occasionally a fair bit more. If your auction is well presented, in the right section, with clear photos, decent description, maybe some links to manufacturer webistes and reviews then in my experience you always get what it is worth - whether thats as much you'd like is another matter.
    Obviously the more obscure an item is the less people will be interested in it.
    It's certainly a buyers market though with so much gear on the used market - they can afford to be choosy.
    A lot of the groans seem to be people comparing the value of their kit compared to it's new rrp. The only item I've ever bought brand new was some Living Voice Avatars from Definitive Audio at £2700 - sold them 7 months later and only got £1500 - OUCH. I'll never pay anything like rrp again. Oh and while were talking depreciation - just try owning a Fiat:D

unclepuncle, Apr 27, 2006
Ask a Question