Damned Cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, May 16, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

I sooo much want to beleive that cables make no difference - honestly.

In the new place we have channeled cheap QED into the walls for the 5.1 setup, so I guess we are hoping. Yesterday I set up the 2 channel rig and deliberately did not use any esoteric cabling, reckoning that if I enjoyed the sound then I was cured and the proceeds of any sale could go on hardware.

After much experimentation with positioning, the little Proacs just lacked body. Compared with my memory, they sounded thin and lifeless. CD's sounded dire - I was reduced to listening to SACD to get anything acceptable to me. Could be the room but I doubt that - it should be excellent according to my measurements.

Well thought I'd dig out the Shunyata Big Boy and stick it on the Denon as a last resort. Result - restoration of body, natural highs and far better integration and image. Cheap system sounds musical again. Nothing done blind, but more along the lines of Michael's "test". But with totally different results.

merlin, May 16, 2004
  2. merlin

ditton happy old soul

I've just had opportunity to try the van hul First. It did seem to make a difference!! "organic" was the phrase mentioned and I think that might be it - much rounder and full without adding bloat.

ditton, May 16, 2004
  3. merlin

tones compulsive cantater

I don't think that any cable unbeliever has a problem with folk finding that cables make a difference. If that's what you like and/or makes a difference to you - for whatever reason - that's what you should have. I just happen to be the reverse - I've found that nothing I've ever tried has ever made any difference. I regard myself as very fortunate, in that I can spend peanuts on wires and buy more CDs.

tones, May 17, 2004
  4. merlin

merlin

I envy you Tones, I really do.

I could buy some serious vinyl for the cost of that cable, but sadly then my CD collection would be redundant.

merlin, May 17, 2004
  5. merlin

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Wish I could too! I keep thinking I could probably sell my Shunyata Black Mamba and do something much better with the cash, but last night I made the 'mistake' of trying it on my Perreaux headphone amp and fear it may be staying there for a while...

M.

MartinC, May 17, 2004
  6. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well you lot think yourself lucky :p I've lent my main power lead (to the Belcanto circuit) out to a customer, and can I tell it's missing, just a touch :D I'm using the lead from the Wellar soldering Iron :( I haven't got any left, I'm having to make some, but I'm soldering on, stiff upper lip and all that :cool:
    So think on troops, life goes on, if all else fails I can recomend a good St Emillion 1996 :)

wadia-miester, May 17, 2004
  7. merlin

merlin

Re: Re: Damned Cables

That's the problem with bloody Shunyata:D

IF you can hear what they do, and IF you like the effect, they are bloody well difficult to be without.

I'm sat here listening to some great sounds again. The room I can report is great, it's no surprise to me (Ex Tact man) to know just how important that is. Whilst I do have a large bay window ( big enough to actually live in:D ), I did some calculations prior to the move that suggested a position for the speakers.

I can detect no excessive bass humps whatsoever! This adds a great deal of clarity to the midrange, and the soundstage really blossoms. It should also reduce the impact for my neighbours:) Still would love a bit more bass heft, getting weened off the JBL's is going to be tough, and I reckon I can set them up so that I can use them only when the neighbours are out so I will give it a go. I plan on placing them on two layers of Auralex Grappas or whatever they are. This should raise the drivers whilst reducing the energy transferred to he floor.

But even given that, the cheap Rotel setup without the KC was just lacking to my ears. Now I cannot wait for the Big Mac to turn up and get some vinyl spinning;)

merlin, May 17, 2004
  8. merlin

Ya-Boo

That's the cheese sorted then:D

Ya-Boo, May 17, 2004
  9. merlin

adam

I was playing around with my latest cheap and cheerful A/V set up,just got hold of a Pioneer 912,which is remarkable for the silly money it costs,into a Loewe DVD player,and Kef eggs with a REL sub.

I had it wired up with some cheap 79strand stuff from the local B&Q equivalent here.sounded fine,the sound was balanced,vocals were central all in all ok.

So I had a very short run of Audioquest Indigo cable lying around,so i wired it in just for fun to the left hand speaker only, even though being Audioquest a PITA.

Sat back,the sound had shifted,ok in no way whatsoever scientific,but blatently clear to hear the the whole sound/image has shifted to the side that was wired up with the AQ Indigo,it was much louder,it seemed the other speaker had stoped working:confused: ,even a little egg noticed the difference,it was louder,cleaner and clearer.This was noticed in both films and music.Strange but true.

adam, May 17, 2004
  10. merlin

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Re: Re: Re: Damned Cables

Yes, that's one advantage with subs, you can choose to turn them off (or disconnect if passive I guess, though not so easy) when you don't want to be offending the neighbours. That's something I've been toying with actually, although I have no experience of good subs. I've vaguely been tempted to give one of the Wilmslow Audio kit subs a go actually. Not that I've heard one, but quite fancy making one up and want to see what it's like in case down the line I fancy building a proper pair of speakers.

Oh, I meant to say before, but on the headphone front if Paul ends up steering you towards a Sony/Perreaux combo you could easily have a listen to mine sometime (I'm in Reading pretty oftern to see my parents, which isn't far from you). From what I remember you posting before though a Stax setup seems on the cards...

Martin

MartinC, May 18, 2004
  11. merlin

merlin

Martrin,

I suspect that if I do replace my HD600's it will be with the Omegas, they really are quite something.

Form what I've heard, i'd stay away from the Wilmslow Subwoofer kits. The rigidity of the cabinet is everything when it comes to subs. Plus you can buy the Sub1500 drive units from the States at the moment for just $250 and that is the same driver used in the top of the range Revel Ultima sub!

My units are passive, but I will be using a Bryston crossover that will enable me to mute the sub and lower the highpass to 40hz for those quieter moments. We'll see anyway.

merlin, May 18, 2004
  12. merlin

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers for that. I think the Sub1500 may be a little large for my needs just for now mind...

Had a feeling yours were passive, hence the little qualifier I added. Sounds like the Bryston will do the job for you though :cool:.

MartinC, May 18, 2004
  13. merlin

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Even I would have to concede that the Omegas should sound a lot better than my rig, apparently those things are literally as good as it gets for headphones bar none.

PBirkett, May 18, 2004
  14. merlin

merlin

They are as good as speakers get in many ways Paul. I sold my last pair as I hardly ever used them. Now I cannot crank the main speakers up, I wish I still had them:(

One thing, they aren't the thing for headbangers. But for everything else, including trance and dub, they are sensational, and quite rightly are not referred to as headphones.

merlin, May 18, 2004
  15. merlin

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'd be interested to hear Staxes finest for dance and trance. I heard some basics once (bottom rung models) and they did not have anywhere near enough bass punch to be involving with dance music (having said that, I am probably a bit of a "basshead"), but I'd expect the top models to do far better in this respect. I really would like to hear them though (along with the Sennheiser Orpheus, and may as well throw in the dynamic Sony R10's as well).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2004
    PBirkett, May 18, 2004
  16. merlin

merlin

Paul,

you'll get more bass punch from a good pair of dynamics. But with the Stax, you will get that effortless big bass that's so natural and I keep harking on about:D

It allows you to listen a higher levels without fatigue, in much the same way as vinyl and big speakers do. Being able to listen at normally headache inducing levels with a total lack of distortion is the attraction for me, but then I'm not into this overly tight transient led bass that seems to be the thing at the moment. People who are, might well find the Stax too soft in the bottom end.

merlin, May 18, 2004
  17. merlin

felix part-time Horta

They shouldn't, Stax are as 'tight' as they come - the Quad ESL57 sound in a headphone, if ever there was one. The 'punch' comes from a particular kind of emphasis (colouration) that some of us do not enjoy ;)

The side effect of Stax - even the Basics - is that you don't listen to the sound, just the music.

F.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2004
    felix, May 19, 2004
Ask a Question