Damping Equipment Stands with expanding foam

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Mikeb, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Mikeb

Mikeb

Has anyone tried using expanding foam (available from DIY/B&Q type shops) as an inert filler for metal tubular loudspeaker or equipment stands to control resonances?

Mikeb, Apr 19, 2007
  2. Mikeb

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

Yep. I wouldn't again though. I used it a few years ago on some cheap adjustable stands and it poured out of the 'cable management system'. It is SERIOUSLY sticky and difficult to remove overspill but there may well be a solvent that does the job.

The thing is ... Mass is normally a positive and desirable attribute not least because it helps to lower the centre of gravity. The filler did damp the ringing quite well but not as well as sand. Sand actually absorbs the vibrations and doesn't leave 'bubbles' of undamped metal. kids play sand is riduculously cheap and it is really fine and really clean but don't forget to let it dry first.

But, maybe it is too fine to stay put in your application???

Sonusthree, Apr 20, 2007
  3. Mikeb

DavidF

blutak?

sure you've already thought of it!

DavidF, Apr 20, 2007
  4. Mikeb

zanash

its horribly messy ......but once set can be carved with a craft knife.

you also need to stop the crust from setting so it can expand. If you seal all holes with tape and do it in small stages should work ...but I prefere dry sand as it adds mass too.

zanash, Apr 23, 2007
  5. Mikeb

dreftar

I'm not certain that adding mass is such a good thing, since it will effectively couple the stand to the floor and allow the structure to transmit low frequency energy really well. This is argued in the set up manual for the LP12 and they recommend a light but rigid structure on which to place the turntable.

dreftar, Apr 23, 2007
  6. Mikeb

zanash

mass controls resonance ......

yes the lp12 likes a light rigid frame ...but not all tt do, nor do a lot of speakers.

A lot will depend on if your trying to use the energy sink or energy transfer route.

If the equipment wants a light rigid frame ...I would not damp it

but that was not what the question asked

zanash, Apr 24, 2007
Ask a Question