Damping Material

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by osama, Sep 8, 2003.

1. osama

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

You could try Dynamat - available anywhere that serves the MaxPower crowd. It works a treat in damping cases but it's not cheap.

NOS-4-A2, Sep 11, 2003
  2. osama

BlueMax

for damping try the new type of synthetic sound deadening pads.It is self adhesive and easy to apply on the bottom surface of the shelves.

Outlets that supply the bodyshop trade will have them in stock at trade prices.

Great for using inside CDPs and other components.

BlueMax, Sep 12, 2003
  3. osama

BlueMax

Consider lining the entire bottom surface of the shelves with a layer of sound deadening pads. Automotive industry do not use the expensive bitumen pads anymore. But better performing synthetic stuff. Easy to apply and looks cool with its diamond embossed surface.

Avoid Halfords and other retailers. I bought direct from the local branch of Partco Autoparts, a company that supply the trade.
    find your local branc at www.partcogroup.co.uk

Retail price is £31.64p plus VAT. Partco trade price I paid was £13.06 plus VAT. That was for 10 panels 500 x 200 !!!
    The product is called Bodyline Premier Sound Deadening Pads. Part No. BPSDP10.

Tetrosyl also make the stuff and distribute through APS branches throught UK. Chek out their website.

BTW. they are perfect for lining CDP, amp, tuner, DVD etc.

BlueMax, Sep 12, 2003
  4. osama

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

d'oh late again, ya BlueMax has the answer, more or less what I've said, I should read other posts before jumping in, oh well

I think your talking about the sheets they use in / under car bonets to damp the noise of the engine, of course this is fire proof, we used to get this stuff from Body Panel Factores, like CBS, Apollo or Wurth UK but I don't think they sell to the public, but your local motor factors shop may have contact that could help you out.

Before you say HenryT its different to Dynomat, that stuff for lining for Car Audio. I can't remember the name we used for it, I just ordered it as Sounded Deadening Pad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2003
    lhatkins, Sep 12, 2003
  5. osama

Decca

There is a whole group of companies who sell this type of material for a lot less than dynamat ie BJ Acoustics.

Also worth checking your local building suppliers. Recent change in the buildings regs has forced a lot of new sound proofing products onto the market. This stuff is cheap and very effective.

Decca, Sep 12, 2003
  6. osama

BlueMax

Words like 'Dynamat' and 'BJ Acoustics' add value to the product!
    :D

If RA starts marketing it with his usual hype, expect to pay £99.95p for sheet the size of an envelope :D

BlueMax, Sep 12, 2003
  7. osama

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Buddy Holly, "what a loss, what a Loss"

wadia-miester, Sep 12, 2003
  8. osama

BlueMax

Sound Deadening Pads are used in automotive industry to dampen vibrations inside the bonnet, door panels, floors, etc.

Its function is the same when used on the panels of chassis and top cover inside hi-fi components.

Putting a 'car audio' or 'hi-fi' price tag on it does not change its function.

BlueMax, Sep 12, 2003
  9. osama

Shop about about dynamatt is £10@roll for 4' by 2', but then that means using electric to power the computer or the internet :eek: you guys are best entertainment since Sigmond Freud on HFC the other night, My physco-analist we telling me only last week, that people who presistantly counting the cost of every thing are seriously driving themselves into an early cheap pine box, with plastic coated 'brass' finish handles, whilst ending up bitter and twisted & Resentful towards those (R/A :D ) who have made a effort, and that the self loathing and pure unadultrated hated for all thing commerical and successful were part of a deep seated physco-logical trumour that happened in childhood and still has a profound frontal lobe outcome on the way they 'Judge society & indivduals', and pass down those pearls of wisdom in a holy than though attitude, to justify there 'standing', me thinks If I had an ice-cream taken off me by 3 girls when I was 8, then maybe I'd have swiped it back rather than bothering 'mummy'. I see a pattern forming here, a Bitter And Twisted' one, that seems to frequent a few places.

10. osama

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Well ok, I'll play.

It would be churlish of me not to mention that there are some superb damping sheets that are used as anti-static matting in the electronics industry.

This matting is extremely dense - very heavy for a "plastic". It will conduct a static charge, although that probably doesn't matter here (?). It can be purchased in blue, grey or brown; and in thicknesses from one sixteenth to one quarter inch. Typically it is sold in rolls three feet wide and whatever long.

I've seen it used to stop vibration in speaker cabinets.

Steve

7_V, Sep 12, 2003
  11. osama

Maybe even some Cromilin too Steve, amazing on speaker cabs, inside or out, virtualy elminates cabinet colourations and resanones from a discrete package too :) Tone

12. osama

Tom68

damping paste Alfablue

Hi,

A very effective damping paste is called Alfablue. We use it successfully for years.

www.alfablue.biz

Tom68, May 7, 2008
Ask a Question