dd 10

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnhunt, May 25, 2007.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

I have a dd10 coming next week. I want to get it worcing with 1027be on two channel only. the manual seems a little av focussed.

I think I should auto eq it to the room then set the low pass and volume,

any body have experience of this box

johnhunt, May 25, 2007
  2. johnhunt

Dev Moderator

Assuming you mean Velodyne, PM Robbo. He is using DD15 in stereo and it works very well.

Dev, May 25, 2007
  3. johnhunt

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I use a DD15 but I can't discern what your question is. The outline you give is roughly correct but in the reverse order. All will become clear when the unit comes. It's possible to set it up without a display connected, but it'll help a lot if you have a display ready with either composite or svideo input.

SteveC, May 25, 2007
  4. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

sorry for disjointed request but really what i'm after is some tips for setting it up with reasoably full range speakers. ok, i think I know that the eq'ing comes after the low pass filter set but that is all i know - though as was said it might all make perfect sense in the flesh.

johnhunt, May 25, 2007
  5. johnhunt

There's an alternative guide you could try googling - for the external version the SMS-1 but the decisions are the same: "Don't Panic! The Outlaw's Guide to the SMS-1". For full range speakers you still choose the "small" option if you have a processor, or use the speaker level input on the sub and take the signal out to the speakers set with a high pass filter at say 80 Hz.

SteveC, May 27, 2007
  6. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

steve

this is a music application so no processor. running the whole signal though the sub and out again kind of goes against the grain. although i'll try any thing once ( asside from incest and bigamy obvoisly) i had i assumed i would set the l pass at where the speakers roll off ( 40Hz ish) and then eq the sub et voila!

johnhunt, May 27, 2007
  7. johnhunt

Madders

I used to have a DD10, the EQ software will show you the best crossover point when you run the setup software at different crossover points as it will show you the peaks and troughs that result.

Madders, May 27, 2007
  8. johnhunt

No, you set the high pass frequency higher than the listed bottom end of your speakers - both the speakers and the amp will appreciate the heavy work being left to the dedicated sub, especially since we are talking velo, i.e. no lightweight. BTW, try to track down that document I referred to.

SteveC, May 28, 2007
  9. johnhunt

Garmt

Best is to use the calibration tones from the DD-10 with the volume of the sub at 0 (zero) and the microphone in the listening position (naturally). Then look at how deep your main system will reach in the bass. Now try to get the sub to fill in the bottom octave(s), by turning up the volume of the DD-10. Play with the crossover frequency and slope, as this both have a great impact of course. Also, play with the fase (+ or - and also all steps in between).

Then, eq the sub, trying to use only attenuation, no boosting. Manual eq will get you MUCH further than auto eq. You should be able to get an almost completely flat response.

Garmt, May 29, 2007
Ask a Question