Dead Amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

The A&R Cambridge A60 that I use on a 2nd system with my computer has just given up the ghost. It was serviced with Arcam around 5 years ago and has performed faultlessly pretty much daily ever since. I know I could send it back toArcam and they'll be able to fix it, but I expect this will be the same price as the service and as I remember this wasn't at all cheap.
    I changed the 3.15a fuses (the amp has 2 pairs of quick blow fuses, one pair had gone) thinking it was going to be an easy fix and that I just left the volume control cranked up and switching the amp on had taken out the fuses. Wrong; it made a very brief noise (i mean split second here) and lo and behold the same pair of fuses went again. Now it doesnt make a sound, no hiss when I turn it up really loud, no headphones but the LED power light comes on and I got voltage at the output of the transformer. Any ideas anyone where I should start looking. Also can anybody recommend anyone who may be able to repair it for a more reasonable price than Arcam, I live in the South West but dont mind posting it.
    Many thanks in advance.

jimmymcfarrell, Jun 17, 2008
  2. jimmymcfarrell

la toilette Downright stupid

I can recommend someone in Bournemouth who should be able to fix it if that's any help, although sadly he's not all that close to you. PM me if you want details.

la toilette, Jun 17, 2008
Ask a Question