Dead CD Player Society opinions please...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, May 20, 2009.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I have a couple of great CD players (when they work). :D

One is a lovely example of a black TEAC VRDS 10 as Thrudge will testify.
    It spins up and doesn't recognise discs, its played briefly and sounded amazing as a classic transport, no slouch as a CD player either. Bloonose thinks it could be an ASC motor thats failed/failing. The transit screw is missing, and I've fixed the laser in transit with a bit of cardboard to stop it moving, but its totally gorgeous.
    Do I fix it, and take a chance on this, (JS Audio put a new laser in and charged me £200 already to no avail - grrr) or do I sell her to a keen tweeker who could have it for £175 inc post, confident in the knowledge that at least the laser won't fail!

The other is a black Meridian 506, its in stunning condition, has balanced output in addition to RCA and occasionally skips tracks with no warning or takes a dislike to a track (laser?). This (as all Meridians of this age) does not like CDRs. The draw is a bit sticky going in, sonically its amazing lovely lush and yet detailed - quite a feat. Do I get this serviced/fixed in preference to the TEAC?
    Or do I cut my losses and sell her busted for £165 inc post.

My decision to sell these as "a bit dead" is due to personal economics, I simply do not have the money to get things fixed anymore, and have to sell things to buy new bits, due to a sad decline in circumstances. If someone has to pay to get these looked at theres scope in the prices I'm charging for two classic spinners in lovely physical condition.

Which do you feel has the best resale value if restored to its former glory? I'm after some balanced interconnects so need the money really whatever. :rolleyes: Someone could make a nice return here.

I would have put these in the "for sale" thread - but they're not exactly are they?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
    SMEagol, May 20, 2009
  2. SMEagol

thrudge

Yep, I will :)

thrudge, May 21, 2009
  3. SMEagol

lbr monkey boy

If it were me, which it is not of course, I think I would flog the Meridian to raise funds for (fingers crossed) fixing the TEAC. I always loved those VRDS transports and once you've been through the process of getting all the internal parts replaced (!) it should be good for another 15 years.

lbr, May 21, 2009
  4. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Good call lbr - I thought what I'll do is fix the Meridian myself (ie send it to Meridian Cambridge) and then flog it fixed.

I shall then get the VRDS fixed and drool, I must admit when I hauled this lump into the boot this morning, the old adage of they don't make em like they used to went through both my mind and the small of my back. :D

SMEagol, May 22, 2009
  5. SMEagol

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

me? flog both, buy a squeezebox and a balanced cable from Maplins.

I think I'd be £200 up by your estimations :)

bottleneck, May 22, 2009
Ask a Question