Dead Man's Chest

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dynamic Turtle, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

One word: awesome :D

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 10, 2006
  2. Dynamic Turtle

tones compulsive cantater

Interesting - I borrowed the DVD over the weekend, and while I found it entertaining, "awesome" would not have been the word I would have used. Basically the whole thing involves you buying into the scallywaggish character of Jack Sparrow (and there I have to admit that Johnny Depp's playing of the part is indeed "awesome"), but the others aren't that good. The plot is, of course, wonderfully outrageous and quite chucklesome.

I sometimes have a sneaking suspicion that Hollywood is run by the airlines and exists solely to product in-flight movies to divert people from terminal boredom as they're crammed into a tube of metal and fired through the air and fed plastic food. This film would seem to fill the bill perfectly. On the other hand, perhaps it's tailored for US audiences with short attention spans. (Is there a connection somewhere? Does excessive flying produce US citizens, or vice versa?)

tones, Jan 8, 2007
  3. Dynamic Turtle

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Interesting - I recieved the DVD for Christmas, and while I found it amusing, "chucklesome" would not have been the word I would have used.... ;)

Chucklesome? An underused word for sure!

MO!, Jan 8, 2007
  4. Dynamic Turtle

tones compulsive cantater

Interesting - I chuckled a few times!

Of course, we're both jumping to conclusions - DT used the word "awesome", which, as he says, is undoubtedly one word, but nowhere did he actually say that it applied to this film...

tones, Jan 8, 2007
  5. Dynamic Turtle

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I got the DVD shortly before christmas...

I felt it was a bit disappointing. It's not as good as the first one, at times seeming a bit laboured in the plot department. Johnny Depp is again superb as Sparrow, and Johnathon Pryce is very well cast as Swann (again). Bloom is rather lacklustre and Knightley seems a bit full of herself.

I will watch the third, but I suspect that it's a case of making sequels for the money, rather than artistic reasons.

I-S, Jan 8, 2007
  6. Dynamic Turtle

la toilette Downright stupid

I enjoyed it, p'raps it doesn't seem quite so good as the first 'cos we already know the characters - the first time I watched Depp as Sparrow I was in stitches, but less so the 2nd time etc....

Anyway, it's a good swashbuckling romp with plenty of humour and films like that don't need much of a plot IMO, you know, in that Raiders of the Lost Ark kind of way.......action packed, no need to engage brain....:D

la toilette, Jan 8, 2007
  7. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

God, at least one of you got the point :rolleyes:

Dynamic Turtle, Jan 15, 2007
  8. Dynamic Turtle

Heavymental

Watched this twice this week (as I wasn't really concentrating the first time so missed important plot points. How shameful is it to watch a Disney film and be confused!?) and enjoyed it. However, I did think Keira was awful in it. The bit where she pretends to be a rufty tufty pirate type is sooo pantomine! She got on my nerves for the whole film with that damn pout of hers, then to top it off she goes and kills the best character!! Bloom isn't much cop either really.

Davy Jones and his crew were great, really worked well I thought and Davy Jones himself looked brilliant. Some funny moments in it aswell. The whole escape from the savages sequence is very entertaining and Depp again has some nice little lines. All in all its good fun.

Heavymental, Feb 1, 2007
  9. Dynamic Turtle

mr cat Member of the month

I'll probably give this a miss - wasn't that impressed with the first one...

mr cat, Feb 1, 2007
  10. Dynamic Turtle

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I just watched the first one, what a load of shit !

Complete and utter rubbish

Levi_501, Mar 14, 2007
Ask a Question