Decent in-ear headphones for under £25

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by owl37400, Mar 8, 2011.

1. owl37400

owl37400

These will be for use while out and about, on public transport, etc. I want something good but not so expensive that it'll be a disaster if they get lost or damaged.

Ones that don't fall out of your ears too easily would be a bonus.

Any recommendations?

owl37400, Mar 8, 2011
  2. owl37400

Monstrous

If you can in any way stretch: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/330...dR4S7FOBHY1BhMR4oIERyauLRJ9AoBDFWCy4QEiQJDQ==

They come with foam eartips aswell, so you squash them together in your fingers before you put them in your ears and they expand and stick into your ears really well. Much comfier than the rubber ones.

Sound quality wise they're pretty good for the money. They're a very balanced sound, bass isn't boomy or emphasised like most earphones, it's very accurate and well extended. Top end and midrange are well balanced, the midrange is slightly warm, the higher end isn't, quite neutral but well detailed.

They're great for the price and Shure are always good in terms of build quality, you'll struggle to break these. Plus Shure give a 2 year warranty, should they fall apart on you.

As for falling out of your ears, these wont, especially with the for the foam buds. My previous Shure SE102's with rubber buds stayed in over about 3000 miles of cycling both on and off road.

If you can stretch to anything by Shure, you wont go wrong really. Do let them burn in though, as they do sound very compressed when you first open them. I usually leave them playing overnight.

The only sub-£25 units I can think of that are worthy of even considering are the Sennheiser CX300's, however, they are in a different league to the Shures. Not even comparable. They also dont stay in that well and fall apart when you look at them!

Monstrous, Mar 8, 2011
  3. owl37400

Cable Monkey

For me the starter phones at the sort of quality I can live with are Senny CX300's but that is above your price range in most places. Comes with 3 sizes of bud that seem to fit me ok and mine have survived the sort of use I expose them to which is to be in a pocket most of the time to emerge on those occasions I want to block out the world. Mine are 3 years old and I have replaced a lost bud but that is all.

Cable Monkey, Mar 8, 2011
  4. owl37400

owl37400

CX300s are easily available for less than £20. It's a set of CX300s that I recently lost. I guess I'll just get another pair unless anyone can recommend anything else under £25.

The Shures are tempting, but too expensive!

owl37400, Mar 8, 2011
Ask a Question