Decent interconnects needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Matt F

Matt F

As part of my saga of putting together a decent stereo set up I figured I'd better go for someting a bit better than the £20 IXOS 104's I was using in my multi channel set up. I don't want to spend an absolute fortune (and I'll go second hand to save money) but I guess I ought to have something decent between my (soon to be acquired) Quad 99 CD-P and Bel Canto eVo2.

I've narrowed it down to 3 cables:

1. Van Den Hul - The First Ultimate
    2. Chord - Chorus
    3. Nordost - Red Dawn

Opinions on these would be much appreciated plus any other suggestions.

Many thanks,

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 6, 2004
  2. Matt F

MartinC Trainee tea boy

How have you narrowed it down to these three? I'd have thought the VDH and Nordost were pretty much at oposite extremes of the cable spectrum (VDH dark, Nordost bright)?

MartinC, Aug 6, 2004
  3. Matt F

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Also add Black Rhodium Oratorio on to the list, the 0.5m is around the same price as the others you've mentioned. Id agree with Martin, Nordorst gives a fast incisive and bright sound while VdH is alot more laid back dark and flatter sound. Each would suit differenct systems obviously. Might have read in the other thread but the Oratorio really helped release my cd players formidable potential :D

Ultra :JOEL:

Ultrasonic, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Matt F

Matt F

Based only on names I'm familiar with and prices between £100-£175 or so (secondhand). I was aware of the Nordost's apparent brightness.

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Matt F

kermit still dreaming.......

Matt , can you get away with 0.5m lengths ?
    I,ve got 2 pairs of C.A.D Anacreon that I,m not using .(too short now)
    I replaced my Chorus with them .
    If you wanted to try them for a while PM me your address and I,ll post them out to you .

kermit, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Matt F

kermit still dreaming.......

kermit, Aug 6, 2004
  7. Matt F

MartinC Trainee tea boy

They're what I use as it happens :).

That said, Matt, you're probably planning on this anyway, but if you could hold off on the IC front till you've sorted out the rest of your kit (speakers especially), and then get some to demo from a dealer that would seem the best plan.

MartinC, Aug 6, 2004
  8. Matt F

Matt F

I'll have to check but, having used 0.5mtr interconnects before and knowing how short these are in practice, I reckon they won't be long enough this time.

Many thanks for the kind offer though.

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 6, 2004
  9. Matt F

Robbo

Matt, I'd also see if you could get hold of some Townshend Isolda DCT300 secondhand. I think it is very good VFM.

Robbo, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Matt F

Doctor Jeep

Why bother shelling-out on very expensive ic's when you've not tried them? I tried some of the cable on your list and it made my system sound WORSE. I've got a QED silver spiral (£79) going between my pre & power and it's THE best I've tried for this application - and it costs substantially less than the cables you're looking at. I don't use this cable from my sources though because it's too bright - I use Cambridge Audio Studio Reference (£40) from my sources to the pre-amp. These cables work brilliantly in MY system but it's ALL system-related. I'd sooner pick the best out of some cables I can actually try in my system than shell-out wads on some posh 'n' expensive ic's I've never demoed. Believe me, you can spend a fortune but get a cable that's actually worse for your system than some £20 ic you'd get from Radio Shack. You've GOT TO try them first, especially if you're spending over £50.....and you're talking about spending hundreds.

Doctor Jeep, Aug 6, 2004
  11. Matt F

Matt F

Trying them first is fine if you're buying from a dealer (and presumably paying new prices) but not so easy when buying second hand for obvious reasons. I guess you could try a dealer's cables and then buy secondhand but that's a bit off IMO.

To be honest, since buying a Deltec Slink interconnect 15 years ago and finding it made no difference, I've been a bit of a cable sceptic hence my reliance on the likes of IXOS 104 to date. Also, I've no intention of changing my £5 per metre QED silver speaker cable. I just thought that with a top CD player and a £3K power amp, I ought to get something at least half decent.

Also, I'm not sure how certain cables can make a system sound bright - surely the signal is whatever it is to begin with and a cable can only take away from this, not add to it and make it brighter?

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 6, 2004
  12. Matt F

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I must say, the QED silver spiral is fantastic value for money, looks cool too. Ive also tried the cambridge studio ref, very detailed and smooth mid band but treble and deep bass seems a little to rolled off. All that is IME of course.

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Aug 6, 2004
  13. Matt F

taz

i have a brand new set 0.5m chord chorus £90 save yourself £45
    bought in error

taz, Aug 6, 2004
  14. Matt F

Rory satisfied

The Concerto (circa £150 for 1m pair, but frequently sold on ebay for £60-80) is also a great sounding interconnect. 4 core nickel (albeit without the Rhodium plating of the Oratorio).

I did have loan of a Chord Chorus a while ago, and compared it to my then-reference; the VDH D102 and I have to say, I couldn't tell the difference. Have not heard any CAD stuff.

Rory, Aug 6, 2004
  15. Matt F

Doctor Jeep

Ultra,

I like the silver spiral but how you can call it "fantastic value for money" at £80 is beyond me! It probably cost QED £3 to make. What I will say though is that compared to many other cables maybe it IS fantastic value for money! :D

Doctor Jeep, Aug 7, 2004
  16. Matt F

Rory satisfied

thought the SS was sonically a very disappointing cable imo. Not that much of an upgrade from the QED Qnect 2 i was using at the time.

Rory, Aug 7, 2004
  17. Matt F

joel Shaman of Signals

I use Canare mic and speaker cable. At a about 2quid a metre it is very good value, and it works!

joel, Aug 7, 2004
  18. Matt F

IndyAudi

Miles from everywhere but very near perfect.
    With all due respect I have yet to see Any VFM interconnects unless you make 'em yourself !

Please read the feedback on these homebrewed silver jobbies.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

IndyAudi, Aug 7, 2004
  19. Matt F

Robbo

Well, its all relative I suppose, but if you can buy something s/h and then sell it on for the same price if you dont like it then I consider that to be VFM. That makes it even cheaper than DIY!

Robbo, Aug 7, 2004
  20. Matt F

IndyAudi

Miles from everywhere but very near perfect.
    Yes,of course you have a point but mine is not in the business of selling with min/no loss interconnects but rather transferring signals between hi-fi components with a satisfactory result.

Why buy something in the 1st place if you think your going to move it on unless for pure profit or you're in business ?

PS I'll wager you didn't have time to read those feedbacks about Chris Ven Haus's DIY silver cable ?

"you don't know what your missing".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2004
    IndyAudi, Aug 7, 2004
Ask a Question