Decent speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Nov 4, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

If you've read my speaker thread (which has gotten a tad off topic by now, but not in a bad way ;) ) you'll know I'm in the process of trying out new and different speakers (and eventually power amps) in my system. Now i need recommendations for speaker cable to try.

I've got speaker cable, but only two kinds - the cheapie Richer Sounds Gale X315, which is bog standard 315-strand copper cable, and some QED Silver Anniversary. These are both cheap cables, and I'm somewhat paranoid they may be holding back my system (I also find the SIlver Anns. to sound a bit lean-n-bright, which is not really ideal). I'm looking for cables to compliment a good mid-high level system (well, that's what I'd call it; I'm sure other people have other ideas about it...) As an example, it seems quite likely that I'll end up with: Meridian 507 CD player, ATC CA-2 preamp, Classé CA-100 power amp, ATC SCM-12 speakers. So that sort of "£1000 - £1500 per component" level.

Now, I understand that there's a serious argument against the likelihood of cables making a difference to the sound (and one that, I believe, has yet to be countered to the standards of those requiring a statistically significant result from doubl-blind testing...), but in my fairly limited experience I have subjectively heard differences, and I intend to keep an open mind and make this entire hifi-horizons-expanding exercise a practical, hands-on educational experience. Thus, I would like to ask for suggestions for speaker cable that people think might do justice to whatever system I end up with.

My budget is limited, so if possible I'd like to keep it to not much more than £15/m, and preferably less (though I am willing, even eager, to buy secondhand).

I also understand that the choice of cables should compliment the speakers and electronics in the system, so it may be a somewhat futile exercise until I've settled on something. I would think, however, that the best cable would be the one that impacts the sound the least, and thus would allow any system to shine. So that's what I'd ideally like to go for: cable that is as transparent, neutral, and honest as possible. No "tone control" cable please.

Anyway, ideas?

Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - As I said, I'd like to think I'm open-minded, so if I try a bunch of speaker cable and end up finding no differences between them, then I'll happily stick with the cheap stuff I've got ATM! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2003
    dunkyboy, Nov 4, 2003
  2. dunkyboy

Alex S User

Chord stuff can be quite good. I like DNM, especially at £7pm but Isolda is significantly better and more expensive @ £50pm although you can use unequal lengths. I don't like Nordost until its about 2.5K an inch and Kimber only seems to work with Shahinian speakers.

Alex

Alex S, Nov 4, 2003
  3. dunkyboy

merlin

Another pearl of wisdom there on ZG. I guess that's why Kimber are one of the most popular cable suppliers worldwide.

Must be a hell of a lot of Shahinian speakers out there we don't know about!

merlin, Nov 4, 2003
  4. dunkyboy

PBirkett VTEC Addict

£15 per meter is not going to get you anything better than Silver Anniversary that you already have IMO. A cable cannot sound bright either, it can only transmit the signal it is getting. If Silver Anni sounds bright, your system sounds bright, and I'd suggest that getting cable to take sound away, which is what its theoretically doing by making it LESS bright is not really the way to go IMO.

If your going to upgrade, you might as well save up a bit more and plump for Isolda which at least has scientific reasons why it might be better...

PBirkett, Nov 4, 2003
Ask a Question