Demagnetising LP's & cd's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Operama, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Operama

Operama

Put this on hifiwigwam can be found in equipment reviews section. The device is a bulk tape eraser & is basically a very powerful magnet having an alternating field ( as such needs to be used with care). they occasionally turn up on ebay at a giveaway price as there is no call to erase tapes anymore.
    There is a unit made by Furutech which would be specific for hifi but it costs ~$2000!
    My thread on wigwam has received (as expected) facile comment from the usual ship of fools. In future I will not bother wasting my time. & I don't think i'm alone in this. Most of us are likely to spend a lot of time & effort into this activity; I started ~40 yrs ago with a valve amp.
    It's a been long eventful journey with yet more mileage in it!

Operama, Jun 8, 2010
  2. Operama

Mescalito

Er, look, I am really not trying to troll, but what exactly are you hoping to achieve when de-magnetising objects with zero magnetic properties?

Chris

Mescalito, Jun 8, 2010
  3. Operama

johnandchris

Think he means static removal in relation to lp/cd

johnandchris, Jun 8, 2010
  4. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

Ok lets perhaps give this the benefit of the doubt for a moment.

Records aren't just 'vinyl' and I think contain other substances in the mix.
    Any of these likely to be affected by a magnetic field?
    What are the known adverse effects of some minute trace magnetic fields (if they exist) emanating from an LP?

RobHolt, Jun 8, 2010
  5. Operama

Jimbo

I do feel for you Operama but i am afraid you will get this response as the ones who criticize have not tried said product or products. I give you the benefit of dought as i haven't tried it. See my thread Got a Densen Demagic disc.

Jimbo, Jun 8, 2010
  6. Operama

zanash

on a subatomic level everything has a magnetic component .....remember your physics, electromagnetic waves ....ie light xrays etc

not to put too finer point on it .....but if you diss things that you don't comprehend you can make a fool of yourself .

the next thing to say, thiking on a slightly larger scale , are you certain a cd for instance is made up of pure poly carbonate and contains no other material that might have ferro magnetic propeties ? I'm not

have you ever considered how a crt type tv works .....a beam of electrons is bent in a magnetic field to hit a phosphor screen ....the last time I checked all atoms [that everything not an ion ] has at least one electron ...therefore to some larger or smaller extent a magnetic field will have some effect .

Now we get down to the nitty gritty will a magnteic field be audible ?......no idea

but why dismiss it ?

An open mind on these things imo is far better than a closed one ....

zanash, Jun 9, 2010
  7. Operama

Mescalito

Hopefully not open enough to let in any old pseudo-scientific shite, though, an electron is not a beam of light. And yes, I do know about the wave/particle duality conundrum.

The work to see if magnetic fields effected electro magnetic waves (light) was done in the 19th century. They don't.

Chris

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
    Mescalito, Jun 9, 2010
  8. Operama

nando nando

does anybody used or remember or having used PERMOSTAT in the 70's
    nando/

nando, Jun 9, 2010
  9. Operama

Mescalito

I haven't bathing in treacle as a cure for headaches either. But do you know what, I'm certain it would not work. So, although I have an open mind for rational phenomena, I am sceptical in the extreme of foo in all it's manifestations.

However, it is a very minor and on the whole harmless type of self-delusion, so go for it!

Chris

Mescalito, Jun 9, 2010
  10. Operama

nando nando

in all subgets you studie there is two sides you can be a master of.rule is theory and practice,imo,
    nando.

nando, Jun 9, 2010
  11. Operama

pete693

Not heard of the 'permostat' but I do have a Zerostat lurking somewhere in the back of a cupboard.This sounds like a similar device to the one you mention.It is in the shape of a pistol ( not advisable to use these days anywhere near a window in your house or you could end up being shot as police attend an armed man incident).It discharged static build-up on vinyl and also plastic record player lids and did actually stop the dust attractive properties of the static charge.

pete693, Jun 9, 2010
  12. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

Quite right Chris.

As humans we are fortunate to have intelligence and the ability to think and analyse, separating the possible from the implausible.

Unfortunately, self-delusion plagues our little corner of the audio world.

RobHolt, Jun 9, 2010
  13. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

I think you can still buy them though they've gone from red to blue.

<edit>

Here we go:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/Zerostat_3_Anti-static_Remover_ZST

RobHolt, Jun 9, 2010
  14. Operama

SCIDB Moderator

15. Operama

Operama

I'm afraid Mescalito you've a few programs to watch on you PVR. If u want to go back 2 centuries; you've turned up at the wrong parallel universe -get Scotty to beam you up! Move on a century & it's dealing with sub atomic particles. Forward to today the high end stuff uses R&D from the military side involving quantum mechanics. Such as Tom Evans who has written about working on incredibly minute signals. We take all this electronic whizz bang for granted, u just have to decide if it comes from a genuine source.
    As it comes from Furutech I took serious notice - they're in it for the long haul. It did have me scratching my head why it would make any difference. As a qualified electrical engineer & obsessed anorak I had try this out especially without incurring much cost. After a couple of LP's it felt like I'd hit the motherload . Being in London I heard quite a few exotic unaffordable systems (eg at Walrus) & now I'm confident my system is in their league. Like many of you it's takes a lot of hard (but rewarding) effort. Don't we all like a challenge such as this?
    If it's foo to u it's ok with me, not everyone can try out everything. Just keep an open mind & leave it to the professionals, judgement day is yet to come.

Operama, Jun 9, 2010
  16. Operama

nando nando

scidb. well done that man, i used to sell milty in the 70's it worked as a formula if used properly,
    nando.

nando, Jun 9, 2010
  17. Operama

Jimbo

We all have hearing difference's and even sight and even smell, so the ones that cannot are the unfortunate ones and are missing a lot of information. IF said people have bothered trying and heard no difference then we must feel sorry for them and their sad lives.

Jimbo, Jun 9, 2010
  18. Operama

nando nando

well sopen jimbo,
    nando

nando, Jun 9, 2010
  19. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

Anyone playing around with record demagnetisers is on very dodgy ground with talk of 'sad lives' IMO.

RobHolt, Jun 9, 2010
  20. Operama

nando nando

let the music play.

nando, Jun 9, 2010
Ask a Question