Demagnetising LP's & cd's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Operama, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Operama

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

No one doubts static isn't audible.

sq225917, Jun 9, 2010
  2. Operama

Mescalito

I am more than happy to leave it to the profesionals, operama. I am not at all happy to leave it to the witch doctors, however.

Furthermore, having an 2:1 in physics, I am absolutely certain that I know one f*** of a lot more about quantum mechanics and sub-atomic particles than you do, judging by the content of your post.

Keep on being happy in your deluded little universe and try using an analytical mind occasionally.

Regards,

Chris

Mescalito, Jun 10, 2010
  3. Operama

Jimbo

I'm not sad, in fact i am happy and over the moon with all the tweaks like adding better cables, isolation and demagnetizing. Giving my system superb detail and dynamics. I couldn't be happier.

Jimbo, Jun 10, 2010
  4. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

There is nothing wrong with people being deluded so long as they do stay within their own little universe. Problems arise when they try to influence others with this untested, unsubstantiated and usually implausible nonsense.

It needs resisting because it ultimately does harm to the industry, both by feeding the delusion from which many audiophiles suffer and then ultimately losing them when the penny eventually drops that they have been conned.

If anyone doubts the power of witchcraft in audio they only need look at Peter Belt.
    Systems apparently transformed by tiny foil triangles, bits of plastic tubing around cables - including the telephone - and (honestly this is true) placing small pieces of paper between records sitting in the rack.
    The magazines ran with it, some influential scribes adopted it and the wallets flew open.

Audiophiles need to realise that they and more importantly their ears are not particularly reliable, that their brains are easily influenced by senses other than their ears and that their preferences are fickle. In other words, they have the same human failings as anyone else. It therefore surely makes sense that a little objective testing and verification is in order for the more implausible of tweaks and sonic 'cures'.

RobHolt, Jun 10, 2010
  5. Operama

Operama

Behold we are in the prescence of one elevated who hath greater understanding & hitherto knowledge unknown to us mere mortals & he shall be all pervading in all manner of Fysick & HI-FI.

It's unbecoming that this thread has descended into a derisory tone. If u want to critcise make sensible comment. There's a myriad no. of items that we're never going to experience & this forum enables us to relate our particular experiences & hence engender cameraderie (which it usually does ) & the pooled knowledge is a valuable resource. We're all at different points on the journey & there'll always be something to learn if we each want to move on forwards (leaving a trail of discarded "junk" no doubt).
    Do you think that Furutech would risk their reputation with such a device then sell for $2000? Do you think that 6 moons who do do good reviews of audiophile stuff would stick their kneck out to give it a glowing review? In a postscript article they said that they got a lot of hate mail for it. Well I guess Darwin's "Theory" will also need a follow up.
    An audiophile should be experienced in knowing his own physiology, lived & grown with much good equipment , heard better systems (to lust after only!)
    & making informed critiquing. Just as a musician or athlete we can hone ourselves in some special field.
    Members contributions should be respected, by all means inject humour but not derision or presumption it's lazy & small minded. Having said that there'll always be the few who feel a compulsion to put their or in. Who was that Harry Enfield character?
    This is from 6moons on Furutech demag aug 2009-The disk was given an electrostatic charge by rubbing it first with a piece of woolen cloth. Then the disk was spun and a magnetic compass brought in close proximity. This deflected the compass needle. The faster the spin, the greater the deflection. It appeared that a magnetic field got set up not merely by a current moving through a wire but by a moving electrostatic field as well. Rowland’s work, the first demonstration that a charged body in motion produces a magnetic field, attracted much attention.
    -experiment carried out in 1870's.....go figure.

Operama, Jun 10, 2010
  6. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

No, all pretty basic stuff.

RobHolt, Jun 10, 2010
  7. Operama

pete693

"I haven't tried bathing in treacle as a cure for headaches either."

I really don't think we should knock theories until we have at least tried them.To this end I have just spent the last hour sitting in a bath of treacle.It has not cured my headache but I have noticed that since I dipped my head under the surface it has attenuated the high frequency resolution of my ears.I pass this on as a possible solution to anyone who feels that they have an over bright system.

pete693, Jun 10, 2010
  8. Operama

cooky1257

Ask yourself why it costs $2000 when it is merely a demagnetiser. Then ask yourself what it is 'fixing'?. Then ask yourself how the quality audio got onto the disc in the first place when this device hadn't demagged the original source?, then ask yourself what demagging does to the pits on a cd and the laser in the reader/player? Then ask yourself is a laser beam magnetic? What about the magnetic fields from a TT motor, loudspeakers, the earth.. for example...

cooky1257, Jun 10, 2010
  9. Operama

johnandchris

All we have to be careful of is being led down the garden path to spending huge amounts of money. If a "tweak" is cheap/cost free/within budget and the person is happy. If placing squash balls or only polishing in an anticlockwise direction thus counteracting the earths magnetic field, makes you think the sound is better (whether or not it does is another matter) then great.

There are a significant number of people prepared to riddicule others, some on this site. If you cant make a constructive comment then dont make one at all.

johnandchris, Jun 11, 2010
  10. Operama

cooky1257

I agree with your garden path advice-some such as this stretch credibility and are ripe for rebuff. High priced Snake oil has destroyed the 'hobby' and should be challenged at every turn-those peddling it deserve all they get-the gullible however deserve our sympathy not ridicule.

cooky1257, Jun 11, 2010
  11. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

Criticism of something that is plain daft is constructive criticism.

RobHolt, Jun 11, 2010
  12. Operama

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Holding a static charge isn't the same as being magnetised, though a charged object can deflect a compass. However all you need is a £15 milty or statzap gun to remove the charge- not a £2000 box that does the same thing.

It's misdirection, no more no less.

Look they say, this record has become magnetized, see how it deflects a compass. You need our box to demagnetize it. When in reality all you need is a cheap static gun and to be less gulable.

sq225917, Jun 16, 2010
  13. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

Well said Simon.

Haven't had a Zerostat for donkeys years - I'm going to buy one online right this minute :)

RobHolt, Jun 16, 2010
  14. Operama

Operama

Electrostatic & magnetism tho interrelated are different phenomenom. Vinyl tho it attracts static is not magnetic but the black pigment used in lp's contain carbon which has residual magnetism. Given that the stylus rides just a few mm above the lp & the useable output of my 0.35mV mc can go down to 1 microvolt assuming ~50dB then it's feasible that the Fururech demag is what it says it does. Think FM stations coming from a foot of wire...nah it's all foo! However there was no way that I could endorse the Furutech demag's cost any more that £1000 on a power cable.
    As I said I wasn't so sure of it's efficacy for lp's. Yep sometimes u need to go down untrodden paths esp if it doesn't harm the pocket. ocasionally it's a dead end but there's no gain without pain. Another plus for tweaking & tuning it doesn't require pots of dosh & stealth tactics to get it past swmbo.

To those few individuals endowed with enhanced sneer genes please pass thru until such time as HRH endorsement is granted.

btw bathing in treacle can affect testosterone levels resulting in 'tart syndrome'

Operama, Jun 18, 2010
  15. Operama

nando nando

i am still triying to get a distruber here for MILTY, any clues?
    regards,
    nando.

nando, Jun 18, 2010
  16. Operama

cooky1257

Erm no actually, pure carbon has only recently joined the magnetic club under very specific lab conditions and at unbelievably low levels(useful in nano tech apps they hope).
    In case you hadn't noticed your pick up cartridge already has or generates magnetic fields. Your speakers, amps, mains will also be throwing out magnetic fields too. The premise that residual magnetism within cd's/vinyl:rolleyes: is detrimental in anycase is unproven, invented by the charlatans who peddle this nonsense.

cooky1257, Jun 18, 2010
  17. Operama

nando nando

zerostat or permostat i would like to try them again, it has being ages since i did,

nando, Jun 19, 2010
  18. Operama

titian

I really thank those charlatans who peddle nonsense.
    I bought over 2 years ago the RL-30 CD /LP demagnetizer and I'm still happy about that purchase.

And of course I was and am still now completely hypnotized by all those words of these charlatans (who I never met), who told be the great things about the RL-30. And of course every time I use the unit I think of all that money that I spent to buy it. Of course it must work otherwise how could I live thinking about that money thrown out of the window. It just cannot be, that I could make a mistake so this unit will always work.

Luckely for the others I don't want to convince anybody to buy such a thing. No, I don't absolutely care what the have, what they think and what they do. I simply keep on smiling as I suppose also the others do.

Great everybody's happy! What can you expect more? :D

titian, Aug 10, 2010
  19. Operama

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Ah, the joy of delusion.

sq225917, Aug 10, 2010
  20. Operama

titian

:banana: :boogie: :elephant: :mo: :pRaT:

titian, Aug 10, 2010
Ask a Question