Demagnetising LP's & cd's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Operama, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Operama

Mescalito

Mescalito, Aug 10, 2010
  2. Operama

titian

Oh yes Richard, tell us about your degrees. It is very important Richard, please!

titian, Aug 10, 2010
  3. Operama

Richard Dunn

I don't have one, I got thrown out of Uni while studying to be an architect. Too much long hair, sex, drugs and rock and roll I am afraid. Anyway my history has been posted here in the distant past if anyone wants to search the archive under my posts.

Richard Dunn, Aug 10, 2010
  4. Operama

titian

well maybe they did before arguing with you...

titian, Aug 10, 2010
  5. Operama

Basil

Richard/titian

Seeing as how nobody really understands how gravity works, do you choose to leave your house via an upstairs window?

Basil, Aug 10, 2010
  6. Operama

Richard Dunn

You are bonkers!!!

It is like wishfull thinking going on. I came on this thread to say I don't think that records or cd's can be demagnetised, but as it was the usual rabid dogs gathering for the kill on titian I posted saying people should keep an open mind.

Yet once again reality is being re-written by you lot.

7. Operama

cooky1257

So you think it is bollocks after all-well done!-as a bloke keen to protect the consumer from shitehawk salesmen/sharp practice, your position sounded rather odd..

cooky1257, Aug 10, 2010
  8. Operama

Richard Dunn

All you need to do is read the posts, but rabid dogs intent on a hunt tend not to bother.

Plus you are still wrong, it *may* be down to a large slice of slurping and marketing bullshit, but if that is the case you shouldn't be so selective as slurping and marketing bullshit dominates the industry from top to bottom. Everyone is trying to convince you, or take away the opportunities for others to convince you. It has been a shite industry and some of the industry icons have been the worst offenders like Linn and Naim. A bloody kite shaped piece of metal for thousands of pounds - do me a favour :rolleyes: that is an F sight worse than this silly little idea as there are still the hoodwinked and brainwashed hundreds of minions out there who will believe it. So call a spade a spade but don't be so selective.

I am here for one purpose - to point to the changes we can now make in the industry and to tell people to keep open minds and *above all* trust your ears. AND if Titian has trusted his ears and I presume genuinly thinks that this malarky is good, then good for him - let him, it is his freedom and choice. If he is deluded then others will not hear it and it will die as a silly little cul-de-sac of thought and idea that this industry has been full of - in fact in some ways it has largely been part of the fun.

I just happen to think the most important thing is a persons music and his freedom of choice to hear the best way to reproduce it - a very simple process that really does not require the services of packs of rabid dogs.

9. Operama

titian

:D

amazing! :beer:

titian, Aug 10, 2010
  10. Operama

RobHolt Moderator

Nobody has behaved in that way towards him on this thread.

Some have disagreed strongly with his view and they can do that, in unison if they wish because that just illustrates where the majority view happens to be, at this time and on this question.

It is perfectly acceptable to suggest that someone is mistaken, plain wrong or deluded if that is truly their view of the poster and his argument.
    Anything that defies logic, known understanding or even just 'smells funny' deserves to be challenged - hard.

RobHolt, Aug 11, 2010
  11. Operama

Richard Dunn

Then you don't see what I see, and as gamekeeper turned poacher you were one of the milder ones who participated in this. It is *always* the same people, and they pollute here, Wigwam, PFM and anywhere they can and at every opportunity. You know perfectly well this is not just disagreeing with a view, it is rude, personal and insulting attacks, always from a position of assumed superiority, no wonder so few people want to de-lurk and post.

And I think your (group) behavior towards them needs to be challenged - hard!

Richard Dunn, Aug 11, 2010
  12. Operama

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Seems to me that the majority view on this forum is objectivist, evidence based. Should people choose to post subjectivist viewpoints, particularly those views supported by nothing more than fanciful marketing speak then they can rightly expect to be questioned.

Just like I'd expect to be told to STFU, or told that my viewpoint was inconsistent with the widely held forum view if I posted on your site, or the AOS forum claiming that measurement was .the one true way'...

There's no metal in vinyl, it can't be magentized, so it can't be demagnetized, so either the OP is deluding himself or some other mechanism is at play. Several of the 'pack' suggested that it might be an de-static effect that he was hearing.

sq225917, Aug 11, 2010
  13. Operama

Batty Registered Insane

I used to use that, some of my LPs still have the little sticker on and still seem to attract less dust.

Batty, Aug 11, 2010
  14. Operama

Mescalito

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black! Richard, you are beyond doubt the rudest, most insulting poster on this or any other audio forum.

And people who disagree with your wackier precepts are allowed to say so, preferably with their reasons for their disagreement.

Chris

Mescalito, Aug 11, 2010
  15. Operama

Mescalito

The fact that Salisbury/Glasgow totally stuffed you in the market really rankles still, does it not?

Your kit was in the same league as theirs back in the day. But you couldn't market it effectively, and JV & IT were consumate marketeers. So they drove you out of the market.

That's what successful companies do in any field.

Chris

Mescalito, Aug 11, 2010
  16. Operama

Mescalito

Ok, next time I want a building designed I'll get an electronics engineering drop-out to do it.:).

I was actually kicked out of university at the end of my 2nd year (it was the 60's & quite honestly, I was one of the "long hair, sex, drugs and rock and roll" dudes you allude to.)

About 10 years later, when I finally came down, I returned , and got a physics degree. And in the '90s I took a maths degree through the OU.

Chris

Mescalito, Aug 11, 2010
  17. Operama

Jimbo

I totally agree with you on this subject. When these posters call us deluded and imaging things it is defamatory to our state of mind. I really think these people are deranged and have had some trauma in their lives that seriously needs attention.

Jimbo, Aug 11, 2010
  18. Operama

cooky1257

So basically someone sells you 'magic' for a not inconsiderable sum and anyone who questions the wisdom of such a purchase is deranged?
    I can see the dealers rubbing their hands every time you enter the shop.

cooky1257, Aug 11, 2010
  19. Operama

UK Duty Paid

I'll give this a test .. First Let me try to pick up a CD with a magnet ..

Nope .. Nope ... Nope .. Nope ...

Now some vinyl .. um Nope

Now Let me try a block of wood ... Nope ...

I must be deluded then.

UK Duty Paid, Aug 11, 2010
  20. Operama

nando nando

nando, Aug 11, 2010
Ask a Question