deq 2496 query...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Hi Fols, I have bought one on these to play with and I some xlr-rca cables have arrived this morning (cheers Zanash!) - now, I'm just now 100% sure how to connect it all up - I have as follows -
    the deq2496
    a ecm8000 mic with xlr - xlr cable
    and pair of xlr to single rca connection with the xlr side both being female (I thought one would be male?)
    and I assume that I would place the deq between the my cdp (or amp / power amp?) and DAC...?

what connections would I use on the deq..?
    so far I've tried - (digital input coaxial) DAC to OUT AES on the DEQ...
    and with the other Zanash cable I tried the OUT R and I also tried the OUT L - but the DAC can't lock in...

is it the wrong cable or do I have to adjust the settings on the DEQ..?

I have version 1.4 of the DEQ

cheers

mr cat, Sep 30, 2006
  2. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

Mr. Cat sorry if this is obvious but your post was a bit confusing when I read it.

If you use CD, the best option is to put the digital output from the CD player into the digital input on the DEQ (either optical or AES, can be selected in the I/O menu) and then use either of the digital outputs from the DEQ to your DAC. The other option is to not use your DAC and use the main left/right outputs from the DEQ.

Tenson, Sep 30, 2006
  3. mr cat

cheers for that - i knew kinda what i wanted but wasn't sure how to explain it! :D

anyway, I've tried this -
    cd digital out (coaxial to XLR) to the digital input* on the DEQ
    then the digital output to the DAC input using a toslink cable.

*however, it looks like I have the wrong cable from Zanash as he supplied me with 2 female Xlr connections and the AES input is also a female - I'd need a male connector on the cable...:rolleyes:
    I tried the use the output as the wording on the connection says - "out aes/ebu in" under each respective connection - but that didn't make any difference..

so, do I need to replace my connector so that it's a male instead of a female?

mr cat, Sep 30, 2006
  4. mr cat

thanks a lot for your advice guys... :roll:

Zanash - can you PM me your address as I'm posting the wrong cables you sent me...I'll just source my own from the web too...

mr cat, Oct 2, 2006
  5. mr cat

zanash

The cables worked fine in mine ....xlr out to rca ? both xlr are female .....

when you said xlr to rca I've assum,ed thats the way the signal goes ....

Try running digital out from the cdp to deq xlr to rca to amp.

zanash, Oct 2, 2006
  6. mr cat

zanash

If your going from dig out of the cdp to dig in on the deq you need a male xlr ...the dig out on the deq uses a female xlr use one of the cable I made to feed your dac if this is the route you want...

return the other cable and I'll fit a male xlr....

But as I said you would have been better with adaptors not fixed cables ...a selection of male and female xlr to rca as I suggested would have allowed you mix and match all inputs and output like I have on my own.

zanash, Oct 2, 2006
  7. mr cat

johnhunt recidivist

I've thought about getting one of these, afterall they're not expensive. i not going to bother because of all that faffing about with knobs, manuals, cables etc etc. think i'll use the virtual time allocated to listen to some music.

johnhunt, Oct 2, 2006
  8. mr cat

I'll try again tonight - as i can't remember off the top of my head the names of the connections - but I followed the advice from Tenson -
    "cd digital out (coaxial to XLR) to the digital input* on the DEQ
    then the digital output to the DAC input using a toslink cable."
    and this seemed to work fine except for that I needed a male connector instead of a female - but I'll have another play!

mr cat, Oct 2, 2006
  9. mr cat

ok folks - had time to mess around with this last night and since I've got my new cdp (nad c542) - I have this connected up as follows -
    cdp - Deq using a toslink connection
    deq - dac using a xlr-rca connection

is this a suitable connection..? - I also e-mailed behringer for advice but they weeren't that helpful...
    whats settings have you lot used?

do you also connect it to your PC or just use the deq itself?

what settings do you lot use so that I can see / compare them to mine...

any advice / links would be useful...
    I also played with the ecm8000 mic too...but I'll check again tonight

cheers

mr cat, Oct 11, 2006
  10. mr cat

Stuart

Mr Cat,

I use both the optical dig. in and analogue in on the DEQ, and the Deq's analogue output. The Deq is in the tape loop of the pre for analogue sources, with a Squeezebox feeding it the digi signal.

Not sure what you mean by settings as all the eq stuff will be particular to your room and system. Haven't messed around with it for a while (it just sits there and does its thing) so probably am forgetting all the detail stuff.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 11, 2006
  11. mr cat

so, are you saying that when it's plugged in you don't tweak/adjust it in anyway..? :rolleyes:

mr cat, Oct 11, 2006
  12. mr cat

zanash

if the cdp has a coax out I'd use that ...the toslink for me made things sound softer [not quieter]...as to the rest see my pm

zanash, Oct 11, 2006
  13. mr cat

cheers for that Pete...

the cdp does have a coax out - however, the xlr I have only female connectors and the deq input requires a male - I'll have a play with what I've got first then if I like then I may decide to upgrade at a later stage... :D

mr cat, Oct 11, 2006
  14. mr cat

zanash

Which was why I'd suggested adaptors !!

zanash, Oct 11, 2006
  15. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

Mr. Cat, the only settings people can tell you are the ones like what inputs they use, noise shaping yes/no, 24bit dither yes/no... the rest is just to do with signal routing and the room correction. The room correction will be different for every room, obviously.

Tenson, Oct 11, 2006
  16. mr cat

yeah, Zanash has Pm'd me some instructions to get up and running - I see how i get on with that..

cheers tho!

mr cat, Oct 11, 2006
  17. mr cat

Mr_Sukebe

I use mine sat between my CD transport and DAC. The CD transport connects via XLR (AES-EBU) to the XLR in on the 2496, with a Zanash made XLR to coax digital output from the 2496 to my DAC.

Personally I thought that the use of automatic equalisation flatted the music on my system. Having said that, the use of the MIC was very useful in spotting a MASSIVE 40hz bass hump. I've now turned off the auto equalisation, but do use the 2496 to reduce the impact of the bass hump my manually removing a good 15db from the 40hz region. The impact on sound quality seems to be minimised by only using this manual intervention on the most problematic area, and the benefits are definitely worth having.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 11, 2006
  18. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

One of the things people often forget is that if you use additive EQ then you need to turn the 'Gain Offset' in the utilities menu down by the same amount to stop it overloading.

Don't apply more than +6dB of additive EQ. Don't EQ above 200Hz. Thats my advice.

Also, pay attention to the RTA when listening to music. Even after EQ, some notes can sound louder and more boomy than others, even when it measures flat after doing correction. That can be because while the frequency response is flat, the decay rate is not. So if you get that, don't be afraid to turn that frequency down even if it then does not measure flat. Trust your ears.

Tenson, Oct 11, 2006
  19. mr cat

Stuart

Tenson - what's your thinking behind not EQing above 200Hz? The biggest benefit in my system is EQ in the mid range.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 12, 2006
  20. mr cat

Stuart

No, not at all. It's just that the EQ choices I've made are particular to my system/room. I'd imagine if you were to transfer my settings to your system you would, within about 3 seconds, decide that I was either deaf or mad, possibly both!

Hopefully the info Pete has sent will get you up and running.

What were you hoping to achieve by using the Deq?

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 12, 2006
Ask a Question