deq and dcx2496

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jennings, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jennings

jennings

Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker here for a while, but this is my first post.

Could someone who has played with the Behringer deq and dcx2496 give me a bit of advice.

I have just completed a pair of Linkwitz Plutos, and I have a Tannoy TS10 sub. As I have exhausted my wife's tolerance of DIY projects in the kitchen of our little expat flat in Moscow I am not going to be able to build the matching subs and ASP.

I'm thinking of getting another TS10 and either a deq or a dcx to run them. What is likely to give me better results, using the deq with the sub crossovers, or using the dcx and by-passing the sub crossovers?

If I use the dcx, what is the best way to control volume? I found the SPL Volume 8, but it seems a bit overkill for my purposes.

jennings, Mar 7, 2007
  2. jennings

Tenson Moderator

What are you using as crossover on the Plutos?

I don't have a clear picture of the system you are describing, could you describe the signal chain? i.e. CDplayer -> Pre-amp -> 3way Xover -> power amps

Tenson, Mar 7, 2007
  3. jennings

Mikeb

deq & dcx 2496

I have both these units and they are outstanding value in particular the deq. They are actually for two quite seperate uses, so you really want to decide what you want to do.
    If you only have funds for one unit I would advise you to buy the deq 2496 which is a very versatile unit particularly as you already have an active crossover in the Tannoy sub. Provided you buy a suitable measuring microphone such as the Behringer 8000 to use with the deq you will be able to measure and adjust the whole of the frequency spectrum in both channels seperately, this being particularly useful if you have odd room shape. I would advise that you connect the deq digitally in and out so that any changes can be done in the digital domain. I found it particularly useful in controlling the bass resonance in the 60 to 120hz associated with the typical room height of around 8ft. I should warn you that the manufacturers manual is not particularly good but there are some useful sites on the web.
    The only real benefit for the dcx2496 is really in a system where you have seperate amps and want to drive the loudspeaker in an active mode, and in this situation you then become the loudspeaker designer as there are many variables when using the unit.
    Why don't you consider buying both units if you want to go active and equalise for any room effects.
    The

Mikeb, Mar 7, 2007
  4. jennings

jennings

Thanks, Mikeb, I guess I will go with just the deq and the mic then. I was just wondering whether there would be any advantage to moving the crossover off the subs. Someone told me I would be better off if i had everything under 60hz going to the subs and everything over going to the mains, but as so often this was advice from someone with no practical experience of what they are advising.

The speakers are all active, so my system will be airport express/dvd player -> deq -> dac -> pre -> speakers.

jennings, Mar 7, 2007
  5. jennings

Tenson Moderator

That sounds like a sensible solution.

Are you going to roll the sub in where the main speakers naturally roll-off or will the main speakers have a high-pass on them to Xover to the subwoofer?

If the subwoofer has an active Xover and the speakers have their own as well, what exactly do you want either the DEQ or the DCX for? What did you actually want to achieve?

The DCX is a digital crossover and the DEQ is an equaliser. Both can act as a DAC, too. If you are interested in using room EQ to help correct the bass range then the DEQ is excellent, but if you don't already have a DAC to use with it, have a look at my website.

If you want to replace the Xover in the sub for more control, steeper curves etc.. then the DCX can do that. The best way to use the DCX is before the pre-amp as if you use it after the pre-amp and feed it such a low-level signal you will not be using its full dynamic range and the amplifiers will amplify the DCX’s own noise, too.

Tenson, Mar 7, 2007
  6. jennings

jennings

I'm interested in some room equalization. I just happened to mention in passing to our systems admin guy at work that I was thinking of trying the DEQ after reading about it. He, who I generally assume is more technically informed than myself said the DCX would do eq just as well and better integrate the subs. I thought I would ask here as people here have some experience of both.

At the moment I have the sub set to roll off at 63Hz, which sounds fairly decent. I don't have any booming, but I do have a bit of suck-out.

I have a dac already. I wouldn't mind having one box less but I think shipping and customs to Moscow might be a bit expensive.

jennings, Mar 8, 2007
  7. jennings

jennings

I have one more question. The crossover in the subs only works using the xlr input. If i have a balanced input to the subs, but then xlr-rca out to the mains does it matter?

jennings, Mar 8, 2007
  8. jennings

Tenson Moderator

I see.

The DCX can do EQ and it will give you more options on the way you integrate the sub (time alignment for example). However, the DCX does not have an automatic EQ mode, so you need to be able to take measurements of your room and adjust the EQ manually.

The DEQ on the other hand, will take the measurements for you if you plug a microphone into it and then adjust the EQ itself (though you will probably want to tweak it). But, it won't let you play with different crossover slopes on the sub and all that.

I'd suggest the DEQ is the best starting place, as a system with a DCX can get quite complex, like you mentioned the 6 channel volume control - too much hassle for a small improvement in your case.

BTW, postage to Moscow would be £30. If you are interested in getting one modified to save on having a separate DAC then you could buy a DEQ in the UK, I can modify it and send it on to you, saving on postage. If you want to talk about this some more then please send me a PM or email, I should not really talk business on the forum.

Tenson, Mar 8, 2007
  9. jennings

Tenson Moderator

Shouldn't matter. They may be at a slightly different volume, but you can adjust the sub level (and would need to) anyway.

Tenson, Mar 8, 2007
Ask a Question