did anyone here locate a 'better' PSU for their t-amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

I realise they are no longer this year's hot product but hopefully that means that anyone still using one will have got it well fettled by now.
    Recently acquired a Trends 10.1 but it really didn't gel with my home system - to the extent that I couldn't bear to leave it in long enough to see if there were any 'burn-in' issues. So it's been in my work system for a couple of weeks where I've switched the jumpers to bypass the volume control and am using an Alps instead - and it's ok.
    Having recently switched the smps on my DAC for a linear PSU - and been very pleased with the improvement, I'd rather not just go for a different smps for the Trends. Trouble is finding a 12V 3A linear psu - plenty of lower current wall warts around, but not 3A.

Anybody know of a decent alternative?

Coda II, Feb 11, 2009
  2. Coda II

Hamilton

Maplins do a series of 13.5V regulated PSU's, including a 3A one I think. Cost in the £15-20 region. I believe they're aimed at radio amateurs, but I've a vague idea I once heard some positive comment about using them with audio gear. I've been meaning to try one with the 41Hz (Tripath) amp I built recently but haven't got round to it yet.

Hamilton, Feb 11, 2009
  3. Coda II

Smithy

Try Thunderpole for one of their CB radio power supplies.

Smithy, Feb 12, 2009
  4. Coda II

thanks for the suggestions but is 13.5V going to be absolutely fine with a device requiring 12V?

Edited to add: make that 13.8V (having checked Maplin and Thunderpole)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
    Coda II, Feb 12, 2009
  5. Coda II

bhasi

I've been using Maplin's XM20W unit with my SI T-amp with great success for at least a couple of years now. The improvement over Duracell batteries was significant and the T-amp replaced the valved nOrh SE9 as the power amp in my system. (I use it with a valved Xindak 3200 pre-amp.)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=231

I think I was led to this PSU by the 'seminal' review over at tnt-audio:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

If I wasn't so busy enjoying the music, I'd be investigating sealed lead acid batteries such as the KingRex unit (SLAP, I think), but the Maplin unit keeps me very happy indeed.

bhasi, Feb 12, 2009
  6. Coda II

aquapiranha

when I had a Trends TA10.1, I used it with an SLA battery, but there really was not a noticable difference this way. A BIG change for the better came when I upgraded it with Kit2 from Audiomagus, this included better coupling and tank caps, shields for the inductors and a couple of other tweaks, not least a nice pot also. Well woth doing, I highly recommend it.

aquapiranha, Feb 12, 2009
  7. Coda II

zanash

As I recall these units are sensitive to over voltage .....all the psu I built for t amp were limited to 12.5 v

don't use a switched mode psu ....you can build a decent psu for about £40 that will include a significantly bigger transformer than any of the small commercial offereings ...and its the tranny that make the difference !

couple that to a simple rectification and regulation module and a splash of good smoothing caps ...and you'll start to hear what these units can do.....

ie the very best imaging I've ever hear at any price .......shame about the other things that let down the units I experimeted. with

zanash, Feb 13, 2009
  8. Coda II

Just to say I've had the Maplin psu happily playing away for a couple of days now and it's fine. It (to my ears) got rid of a fair bit of the glaryness I found unpleasant. Bass has improved as well.

As for other tweaks, I'd already bypassed the vol pot and am using an Alps instead, will let it all settle down for a bit now I think.

Coda II, Feb 19, 2009
  9. Coda II

aquapiranha

coda, I strongly recommend having a look at the tweak kits at audiomagus. even if you decide to source the parts yourself you can still download all the instructions for the various tweaks from thier website. It really did make a big difference and I now wish I had not sold the amp.

aquapiranha, Feb 19, 2009
  10. Coda II

Thanks - I did have a look yesterday, will certainly keep it in mind.

Coda II, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question