Different drivers - Same sound?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Feb 10, 2006.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've finally got round to putting my 780s in for repair.

However, I'm unsure if they'll be covered by warranty so had a look around for driver prices and spotted these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5863329825&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I've contacted him and he says that it appears one driver is the original 780 Keraform driver and the other is possibly "polypropene/paper"

Apparantly, he says, the original drivers had problems with fluid leakage so these new drivers were brought out to replace them, and should therefore sound the same.

I'm unsure. I'd have expected the two to sound different?

If anyone knows anything else about all this (the updating of the replacement drivers), or any thought on if they will indeed sound the same, I'd appreciate any comments.

I'm aware there's a new "se" range of the 78's. Are these the drivers used in them?

Many thanks

MO

MO!, Feb 10, 2006
  2. MO!

Mr.C

I've had experience of the 780s with both sets of drive units and a) The newer drivers sound a little better, b) The original drive unit does indeed have 'issues' - a while ago I worked at a hifi shop for several months and I saw a constant stream of the 780s being returned for the mid/bass units to be replaced. I understand that Mission did indeed come out with the new drive unit as a response to this problem with the original.

Mr.C, Feb 10, 2006
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

thanks for the reply. I didn't bid in the end.

I've had them previously repaired (2003) when one of the LF drivers went. This time it seemed to be the same, but strangely, when checking them before getting round to sorting them out, I discovered the driver in the other speaker had decided to call it a day too!!!

MO!, Feb 13, 2006
Ask a Question