Differnt lengths of Spkr Cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gpc1, Apr 14, 2005.

1. gpc1

gpc1

Ok, I know this has been covered before but…………..
    One of my speakers ( in total speaker cable distance) is about 2m from the hifi, while the other is about 4.5-5 metres away.

If I buy a 2m length and a 5 meter length of cable, will this have a detrimental affect to the sound. Would I be better off buying 2 5mtr lengths and keeping one curled up whilst the other runs around the skirting to the speaker.

I know there are other threads to this but they contain a lot of detail and technical jargon. Is there anyone out there who has this with no bad effects whatsoever or is this a big no-no.

The reason for two different lengths is A cost & B tidiness.

Many Thanks
    Gpc1

gpc1, Apr 14, 2005
  2. gpc1

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

BIG BIG No No, I can hear the timing difference between my centre chanel and the main fronts which has a half metre interconnect difference !

Levi_501, Apr 14, 2005
  3. gpc1

merlin

I have not only different lengths of speaker cable but different types at the moment and yet have a system that seems to amaze most visitors with it's timing and imaging.

You work it out ;)

merlin, Apr 14, 2005
  4. gpc1

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Welcome back mike :)

I-S, Apr 14, 2005
  5. gpc1

tones compulsive cantater

No difference whatsoever. I once had 1M and 3M with no perceptible difference. No wonder; someone over at HFC (I think) did the calculation and concluded that, for there to be a perceptible difference, one cable would have to be of the order of several kilometers longer than the other (a situation rarely encountered domestically).

tones, Apr 14, 2005
  6. gpc1

ditton happy old soul

does the same argument apply to interconnects of different lengths? applicable if placing monoblocs near speakers, say.

ditton, Apr 14, 2005
  7. gpc1

gpc1

ahhh ......split opinions here.

Would a 3m cable diff really make such a diff?

I will tell you as soon as my cable arrives. What the hell....im gonna take the plunge a see for myself. Worse comes to the worse i lose a few quid but can answer an age old question.....or will it be all in my mind!!!!

Is there any device aout there that can test timing from one speaker to the other?

Gpc1

gpc1, Apr 14, 2005
  8. gpc1

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

As Tones says, timing is not going to be affected unless you live in a different perception from time than the rest of us and can sense millionths of a second differences. Moving your ears half an inch nearer one speaker or the other will make more difference.

But I wonder, things like different impedence, capacitance and inductance might be different between same cable at different lengths. And that could result in slightly different tonal balance from each speaker, possibly? Or maybe even cause a problem for some stereo amplifiers.... I don't know, just a thought.

alanbeeb, Apr 14, 2005
  9. gpc1

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I know someone with an 18k system that uses different TYPES of cable of different lengths for each speaker, and neither he nor I (nor anybody else for that matter) can so far tell the difference.

Puts it in perspective ! ;)

bottleneck, Apr 14, 2005
  10. gpc1

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Hi,

It will not make any difference, no.. not a bit... not at all... really...none. nil. 0.. zero..

Regards

Chea Johndle, Apr 14, 2005
  11. gpc1

Spenny

From experience, I would beg to differ on this one, however, as a caveat I would say that it all depends upon the quality of your equipment and quality of the cables you are using.

Speaker cables should ideally be kept the same length for each channel in a two channel system.

When I used 1.5m and 3.5m lengths of Kimber 8TC in my system years ago there was a distinct effect on soundstaging and balance in the system. I lived with it for a week before acquiring a second 3.5m length of 8TC which brought everything back into focus and hasn't been replaced since.

If you have a decent amount of money invested in your equipment and are using good quality speaker cable then I would suggest keeping the lengths of cable the same.

Spenny

Spenny, Apr 14, 2005
  12. gpc1

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

You can beg... but there is still no difference :D

Regards

Chea Johndle, Apr 14, 2005
  13. gpc1

zanash

Yes I've heard the difference .....But why do it ? You go to extreme lengths to get everything else right. Why introduce another factor into the equation ? The one thing you know for certain is that both speaker cables will be the same length, so the amp will see the same capacitance resistance and inductance. If you start to mess with this why not add a graphic equalizer or put your speakers different distances from the wall or listen of axis in the kitchen.

zanash, Apr 14, 2005
  14. gpc1

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

a good way to get rid of room modes

Im listening off-axis in the study as I type :)

bottleneck, Apr 14, 2005
  15. gpc1

zanash

but you don't do it all the time ......

I'm listening to the football in the other room as I type this, but I go back on axis in a minute.

zanash, Apr 14, 2005
  16. gpc1

Goomer

But will the outcome of the game be changed if you remain listening off axis, and, if it's not the result you wanted, will you kick yourself for not listening to it in true stereo?

Goomer, Apr 14, 2005
  17. gpc1

ditton happy old soul

I ask again, do you have the same viewpoint wrt interconnect cables?

ditton, Apr 14, 2005
  18. gpc1

ditton happy old soul

bump

ditton, Apr 19, 2005
  19. gpc1

darrylfunk

you certainly

should not be hearing much if any difference if the cables match the amp and speakers in a proper electrical sense as the audio signals are so varied.
    when recording in a studio or miking up at live gigs the cables are nearly always different lengths .
    are some of you suggesting that it throws the timing etc out ?
    give me some proof please.

darrylfunk, Apr 19, 2005
  20. gpc1

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Yes, a time delay exists. If you compare a 10m cable with a 1m cable, the time delay is equivalent to the one speaker being as much as 0,01mm further away. Try to remember stuff like this as you tighten up the head clamp. PM me if you want the spreadsheet.

;) BTW I'm sure you'll have no problem with any sensible cable design

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
    SteveC, Apr 19, 2005
Ask a Question