Digital berk seeks guidance on MP3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Having become a commuter at 35 :-( the time has come to aquire some music on the go. I have just sold my old sony 303 PCDP for a pricely sum and have decided to invest in an Ipod or something.

I have a largish collection of mp3's on my laptop (because sometimes I cant get hold of rare stuff so I download), a few cd's I could transfer and a big collection of Vinyl.

I'm not planning to archive my vinyl or my CD's onto MP3 I just want to have a bit of music on my way to work.

I take it that for ease of use Ipod is the way to go?
    I can use my Mp3 files with itunes and stick them on the ipod as well as buying songs from I tunes I take it?
    The Ipods sound OK? (given that all portables sound a bit pony)

Am I better off with a sony walkman or some kind of creative or Iriver jobbie?

I just want easy to get music on the go... It's baffling and they say vinyl is complicated!!

Joolsburger, Mar 31, 2006
  2. Joolsburger

la toilette Downright stupid

Buy yourself a harmonica, it's cheap, very portable and it plays whatever music you want with no need to download, no batteries, cables, and 99% of people aren't interested in nicking it......if you don't know how to play one already you could practice on the train. And just think how entertaining all your fellow commuters will find it?!

I'm so helpful, aren't I:D

la toilette, Mar 31, 2006
  3. Joolsburger

Bob McC living the life of Riley

And you'd have a double seat to yourself!

Bob McC, Mar 31, 2006
  4. Joolsburger

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Jools, get a 30gig iPod.

Someone here will no doubt offer up an iRiver or something equally as ****e.

What you want is music on the go with as little hassle as possible iPod + iTunes equals just that.

Do it.

garyi, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Joolsburger

huuge

I 2nd that

have used my pod and cassette adaptor for commuting about a year now

huuge, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Joolsburger

robert_cyrus

and if u are really lazy .... http://www.speedpod.com/

IPod boost for vinyl junkies
    :confused:

Kristina Rate has clearly never imagined there might ever be a 3rd group of people with vinyl collections - those who want hi-fidelity!

robert_cyrus, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Joolsburger

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The ipod is nice enough, and I have one myself, but I dont agree its the least hassle.

With the ipod, you have to sit there and install drivers, and the software, update it etc.

Then you have to put music on it, you have to go into itunes, find it in your list, transfer it, and to me it just seems a right hassle.

On other players, you can plug them in, they need no drivers (for XP anyway), and you can simply right click on a file (or files or folders) and choose send to >>> removable disk.

To me that is much easier and less hassle.

PBirkett, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'd go for something small, cheap and solid state. try a creative zen nano. this uses aaa batteries so if you don;t end up with a useless lump of plastic when you are out and you run out of battery - you just buy another battery (but you can use rechargables to keep things cheap too). it's a matter of dragging and dropping files from one folder to another so nothing complex in the use stakes, it looks ok, sounds ok, is tough and if it's nicked, lost or broken, didn;t cost the earth anyway.
    if you want movies or other stuff on the move - look at archos for solutions.

julian2002, Apr 2, 2006
  9. Joolsburger

djwero

I have a XCENT XT-100, which is 1gb. i just got it as it looks cool, good sound quality (the earphones included arn't the best though), and it has cool features like recording/microphone/radio/numerous eq. settings/alarm/clock etc.. also you just plug it in as a removable disk, so can take transfer any files, also it charges via USB which is kinda cool... i like it anyway.

djwero, Apr 5, 2006
  10. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

well I bought a sony thingy nv-e99 i think, tiny little flash player 1 gig and was cheap, that will do.

Joolsburger, Apr 5, 2006
  11. Joolsburger

Lord .

"Berk"

Isn't that very unpleasant rhyming slang?

Lord, Apr 8, 2006
Ask a Question