Digital cables are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 12, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've got my DAC working it was just the BNC connector I needed, £1.99 from Maplin.

Anyway I am working out how to rewire it for the best sonic results. I only have analogue cables but I can't see what the difference is.

Should the digital cable be one of my better quality ones or will any half decent gold plated and thickish cable do the job such as a Cambridgre Audio atlanic?

amazingtrade, Apr 12, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if yer realy concerned get a bit of rg58/rg59,depending if its 50 or 75 ohm

themadhippy, Apr 12, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I'm using RG59U 75ohm is that ok? Its just a cheap £5 Maplin thing but since its only carrying a digital signal I don't see how it matters as much as the analogue ones.

amazingtrade, Apr 12, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

MartinC Trainee tea boy

The cable you have may very well be suitable, but the big difference between audio and digital signals is the bandwidth (frequency range). For audio signals you're talking up to ~20kHz whereas digital signals have MUCH higher frequency content (I can't be bothered to check just now but from memory I think you're pushing the GHz range).

MartinC, Apr 12, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

BlueMax

I used Maplin XS17 low loss sat co-ax cable and Maplin JZ phono plug for co-ax cables to connect DVD and Freeview box to the DAC.

I also tried this cable with CDP to DAC. No difference at all, compared to a £40 QED digital cable I have.
    No difference at all, compared to a £40 QED digital cable I have.

With digital signal (as opposed to analoge) the wave from does not matter and the voltage level can drop by as much as 40 percent. When it is clocked, it will still come out as 0 or 1.

75 Ohm coax is just fine!

[​IMG]

But make surel that Maplin supply you the right stuff.
    I ordered by mail order and sent me single shielded cable. It was a lot of hassle to send it back and convince them on the phone. :mad:
    Had to speak to a manager to resolve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2004
    BlueMax, Apr 12, 2004
Ask a Question