Digital cameras....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rory, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Rory

Rory satisfied

there was a long thread about them, but its kinda vanished....

anyway, trying to decide between a Sony DSCP73 (click) and a Nikon Coolpix 4100 (click) . Both are 4MP, 3x optical zoom, rechargable batteries etc

At first glances the image quality seemed better on the Nikon just going by the LCD screen, but that isn't the be-all and end-all...the reviews on the linked site say the Sony is better however I did read somewhere that the Sony's red-eye isn't terribly good

opinions please

Rory, Feb 15, 2005
  2. Rory

michaelab desafinado

I don't know either camera allthough my wife has a Nikon Coolpix 3100 which is similar to the 4100 and it takes excellent pictures. As has been said before on these threads, would you rather have a camera from a camera company or from an electronics company?

All other things being equal (and they seem to be here) I'd always choose a Nikon over a Sony. Another reason not to choose Sony is their stubborn insistence on using their proprietary Memory Stick format which is a lot more expensive than the standard SD or CF formats (the Nikon uses SD).

For more info and reviews check out http://www.dpreview.com/

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 15, 2005
  3. Rory

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

In terms of sensor quality there is nothing to choose between them, as nikon buy their CCDs from sony.

That aside then, it leaves us with trying to build a camera and lens around this sensor, so it comes down to who builds a better still camera. I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that sony were better than nikon in that area.

Finally, there's media. MemoryStick media is expensive and limited to 256MB. The SD cards of the Nikon are cheaper, larger capacities available, etc.

I'd definitely go with the nikon of those two.

I-S, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Rory

Zoomer

nikon are a way better make in cameras compared to sony.

I won't repeat anything others have said, only thing I will say is that if you could afford a bit more i'd say get a canon.

Zoomer, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Rory

midlifecrisis Firm member

Can't comment on the Sony, but I've had a number of Nikons - currently have a 4mp Coolpix and a D70. Lenses are top quality and the build is very good. The Coolpix is excellent, with really crisp, well exposed images - I'd heartily recommend it. Warning - you can easily get into analysis paralysis with magazine and online reviews....!

midlifecrisis, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Rory

Lt Cdr Data om

hi I have just gotten a fuji from pc world for £100 from £150 and its very good indeed quite happy with it.
    Its a finepix a607

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Rory

greg Its a G thing

Personally I'm a Nikon fan - my "analogue" :slayer: SLR is a Nikon F80 and I love it. I owned a coolpix 3100 until I was burgled recently - image quality was good - the lens seems very good - but I wouldnt buy another Nikon coolpix.

The reason is the way the on/off button works means it can turn on in your pocket - when this happens the lens extends and the dust shutter opens - when this happened in my pocket it broke the dust shutter mech. and the camare couldnt be used until the mechanism was fixed. This happened on a family holiday and as it was the only camera I had with me it really pi55ed me off. Now the 4100 may have resolved this but if it hasnt then my advice - steer clear.

From what I've seen the Canon Ixus range looks very good with a very user friendly menu system and a more robust closure mech./design, plus they seem very pocket friendly - I think I'll be buying one as a replacement for the coolpix.

Edited to add:
    Canon IXUS 430 for £170 from eBuyer.com
    Canon IXUS 40 for £215 from eBuyer.com < my choice

greg, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Rory

Hex Spurt

I have a Sony P72 at the moment. I like its compact size, design and intuative menu system. Outdoors shots are good, but it has one major flaw IMO.

When shooting in low light the AF system needs a little help. Sony acheives this by fitting an LED that emits a bright orange light when you push the shutter release. This could be the red-eye you referred to. Anyway, the reaction from people you photograph ranges from 'startled bunny in the headlights' to the 'dracula at dawn' grimace. Pretty much every reaction apart from happy smiley people. It's a bit embarassing really :rolleyes:

Without the orange search light the AF is hopeless in dark conditions. A £70 Samsung 35mm compact we own works far better for party photos. Ho hum.

regards

Hex

Hex Spurt, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Rory

Also note that the low-end coolpix models such as the 4100 are designed and built by Sanyo under Nikon's direction. Since the original question was between the two, I would go with the nikon of those two. However, also look at olympus and canon (but I would say that with £5k tied up in canon SLR gear).

I-S, Feb 17, 2005
  10. Rory

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I bought my folks a coolpix 5200 for christmas. It does the lens out, shutter open thing when turned on that Greg mentioned.

Obviously it's possible to accidently turn it on, but I imagine pretty unlikely. I wouldn't let that put you off it IMO

MO!, Feb 17, 2005
  11. Rory

greg Its a G thing

Just heard about the new Sony DSC P200 - 7.2 mega pixels and similar price to the Ixus 40 - any thoughts anyone?

greg, Feb 21, 2005
  12. Rory

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Don't know anything about the camera, but I doubt you'll ever need 7.2mega pixels and wouldn't let that imfluence your choice too much. Others may disagree.

MO!, Feb 21, 2005
  13. Rory

Mo is quite right. Not that no-one ever needs 7.2MP, but on a small sensor used in digital cameras each individual pixel is getting smaller and smaller as the resolution goes up. With the decrease in size of the pixel comes an increase in noise, and the 7.2MP on a small sensor like that will be destroyed in print by a 3MP image from a big sensor like a Canon D30 or sigma SD10.

If you're not going to print bigger than A4 then there is no need to go beyond 5-6MP at most as you'll find very little benefit.

I-S, Feb 21, 2005
  14. Rory

greg Its a G thing

That's the answer I was hoping for. I had previously thought anything around 4Mp for a compact (and thus limited lense quality and sensor size) would be pretty much fine.

So Isaac - any personal opinions in comparing the Canon Ixus 40 with the equivalent model (price wise) in the Powershot range?

greg, Feb 21, 2005
  15. Rory

Canon run several series of cameras:

Ixus: Dinky. More than equivalent cameras spec-wise, but have good looking, compact metal shells. The lifestyle/jewellery choice.
    Powershot A: VFM series. Plastic casework, but best electronics for your money.
    Powershot S: More advanced features, metal casework.
    Powershot G: "Prosumer" choice, with SLR-like features and bigger sensors.
    EOS D: Digital SLRs, from £800 EOS 350D (with amateur featureset) to £8000 16.7MP EOS 1DSII with one of the largest imaging sensors in the world.

I-S, Feb 21, 2005
  16. Rory

PeteH Natural Blue

On the advice of the good people of this forum, I bought a Powershot A75 as a gift for someone. I haven't an awful lot of experience with digital cameras, but I must say the picture quality you get from it is noticeably a lot better than anything else I've played with (including some considerably more expensive 'lifestyle' Sonys) - in fact I think I'm going to get one myself too. :) 7dayshop seems to be the place for the best prices AFAICT.

PeteH, Feb 21, 2005
  17. Rory

greg Its a G thing

Well I was very keen to get an ultra pocket friendly Ixus but I have to concur the A series seem very compelling so I've chosen an A95 as a replacement to the Coolpix 3100. Seems £200 is about as low as you can get it (eBuyer.com, 7dayshop.com, etc.) but for the money they're stunning.

greg, Feb 22, 2005
  18. Rory

Dev Moderator

I've been tempted to buy a digital SLR (Nikon D70) a few times now. The reason I've resisted (so far!) is the size of my Nikon Coolpix3100. It fits in my pocket quite easily and therefore I'm more likely to take it with me. No SLR is pocketable so at least for me will get far less use. I still want a D70 or one of these if I come into money:).

Dev, Feb 22, 2005
  19. Rory

greg Its a G thing

A pocket digi is really just for convenience, especially for my wife, if its any good then thats a bonus really. Personally I'm usually happy to haul my SLR around. There is a compact I think everyone should own: lomo compakt
    The results with this are something quite unique and very special. The results are kind of like memories in print - the pictures actually resemble how I recall the event/scene.

greg, Feb 22, 2005
  20. Rory

Heavymental

I remember reading an article about the lomo ages ago. Some lovely shots produced although £140 is quite expensive really for what it is. I've got a lomo supersampler which is quite good although its hard to get really effective shots out of it.

Heavymental, Feb 22, 2005
Ask a Question