Digital/FM converters

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by m9myk, Sep 29, 2009.

1. m9myk

m9myk

Does anyone know if there will be any form of Digital/Fm converters available for high quality domestic stereo radio tuners when the BBC finally does make the switch to digital only radio.

m9myk, Sep 29, 2009
  2. m9myk

RobHolt Moderator

I can't see why anyone should wish to multiplex a digital signal only to then feed it through the FM front end and decoder of a standard tuner. Can only be bad.

People will be putting digital music onto vinyl next so that it can be played through those funny old legacy RIAA stages ........ ;)

RobHolt, Sep 29, 2009
  3. m9myk

m9myk

Thanks Bob
    However, I am not sure I clear made myself clear but what i want to know is, will there be anyway that I will be able to pick up BBC radio broadcasts on my analogue radio tuner when the BBC switch to digital only broadcasting.

m9myk, Sep 30, 2009
  4. m9myk

RobHolt Moderator

No.

Sadly, they will become museum exhibits or end up on the skip.

RobHolt, Sep 30, 2009
  5. m9myk

felix part-time Horta

Humbug to that. I shall make hi-Q Fm stereo encoders and use mine for wireless distributed home audio ;)

felix, Sep 30, 2009
  6. m9myk

Paul Ranson

A digital multiplex stereo encoder doesn't seem to hard. Put stereo rips in one end and get a high bandwidth mono signal out the other.

It could be a server plug in. So you take a Linn DS, each of its analogue outputs goes to an FM transmitter each carrying an encoded stereo signal. A choice of two local stations in each room.

(I think 96kHz might be marginal, so we'd need 192k capability. I have to read up on what happens to the upper sideband of the sub carrier.)

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 30, 2009
  7. m9myk

UK Duty Paid

Presumably we could sell/export/flood the market/ to countries without DAB? ( And which countries will these be that accept 220 240V with little hassle? )

UK Duty Paid, Sep 30, 2009
  8. m9myk

spica

The great FM radio switch-off: Don't Panic!

Quote : Carter wants major broadcasters off analogue. He wants a date - his own preferred is 31/12/2015 - and he wants this date (whatever it may be - note the uncertainty already creeping into the details) to be announced two years ahead of time. But he points out that this should only be approved if he criteria set out by the DRWG (Digital Radio Working Group) has been met. Which is:

•50 per cent of listening is digital [not the same as DAB, note]
    •DAB is comparable to FM coverage, and local DAB reaches 90 per cent of all population, and all major roads.
    This may or may not happen in time for that aspirational end-of-2015 date ........

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/19/carter_radio_dumb_media/

spica, Sep 30, 2009
Ask a Question