Digital Source upgrade advice Gents

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oscar23, Jun 5, 2007.

1. oscar23

oscar23

Quick query -
    Any opinions around here on the Trivista SACD player?
    I was thinking of going from my current setup of Meridian 500 transport and Electrocompaniet DAC with a cheapo Sony SACD player to a single SACD solution with this player... I've searched here and found a few old threads that mention the Trivista player (one says it's got a "loud" transport?) and it certainly seems that Wadia-meister was a fan....
    Another part of me says - save your pennies and get an Esoteric X03.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Any help appreciated,
    Oscar.

oscar23, Jun 5, 2007
  2. oscar23

anubisgrau

unless it's too many boxes i see no reason for doing it. EC DAC is a damn fine device, a bit dark but certainly highly enjoyable and relaxing.

anubisgrau, Jun 5, 2007
  3. oscar23

oscar23

thinking was a box reduction with no loss of CD player quality (I thought the Trivista would match the ECD-1) and with a far superior SACD machine to my current one.
    I have seen a good (but expensive) used SCD-1 here in Dublin so I could look at getting that and use it as a transport to the ECD-1 if that gives better redbook performance than the SCD-1 itself. But then the Trivista would be a better SACD spinner than the SCD-1 ..... decisions, decisions..!

oscar23, Jun 5, 2007
  4. oscar23

oscar23

right, after extensive surfing, change of plan :slayer:

I am presently running an Electrocompaniet ECI-3 Integrated Amp that TBH needs upgrading more than the source..... so...... I stumbled on a good used TacT Millennium MK3 Digital integrated. It's a price step up but I could part fund it by selling the current ECD-1 DAC and the fore mentioned Amp. Then I'd just run the Meridian 500 Transport straight into it... and, when I get the cash together :redrum:, I'll buy something like a used SCD-1 to be a transport into the Millennium for both redbook and SACDs.

Anyone spot any glaring flaws to shootdown :clint: this theory?

:cool:

oscar23, Jun 6, 2007
  5. oscar23

anubisgrau

i wouldn't bet that tact integrated DAC is better than EC stand alone DAC. i know someone who deeply regretted for selling it, although he bought tact RC/pre, not millenium.

anubisgrau, Jun 6, 2007
  6. oscar23

oscar23

Hmmm, yeah having second thoughts now. Think I'm going to change the amp first then move along. Got a good offer for some B&W Nautilus 801's hopefully going to listen to them next week, though from what I can gather they aren't so popular around here..?!
    I was trying to get some info about the dCS P8i too but I can't search for it because it says the terms are too short - is there a way around this limitation ... or does anyone have any juice to spill about the P8i?
    Thanks again!
    Osc.

oscar23, Jun 10, 2007
  7. oscar23

Antony

I would get a Lyngdorf TDA2200+ and run the Meridian into it. If you get a SACD player at a later date you can run it through the ADC on the TDA2200, it is very good and certainly lets me hear the sound (colourations!) of my Gyro SE/Lehmann Black Cube. You also get the option to add room correction and corner/boundary woofer setups at a later date.

I haven't heard the EC DAC, but I very much doubt it is better than a TDA2200..

If you value neutrality, accuracy, detail, freedom from transistor hash and valve euphony go for the Lyngdorf. I understand that some people may find this sound is not to their taste, but you should live with it for a bit and see.

As you can probably tell I think Lyngdorf is an amazing company with amazing products. They are true leaders and innovators in the industry. And bloody good VFM as well.

My mate has a DCS P8i with Chord SPM1200E. The combo was unlistenable: harsh, aggressive, ear-bleedingly horrible, crap really. (I think this must be down to the Chord, as I have heard dCS kit before and really liked it. For me the Chord is the biggest disappointment ever out of any piece of HIFI kit I have ever listened to. How does it get good reviews!?) So I wouldn't discount it as a transport and SACD source. Expensive though.

Antony, Jun 11, 2007
  8. oscar23

oscar23

cheers Antony - I'll have a look online at the TDA2200 see what I can find out. The Roomperfect idea would probably be good as I'm very limited re. how far I can move my speakers out from the wall.

Any thoughts out there on the Nautilus 801's - could a digital integrated drive them nicely I wonder...

oscar23, Jun 11, 2007
  9. oscar23

Antony

The TDA2200 is a monster!

Antony, Jun 12, 2007
Ask a Question