diminishing returns?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by midlifecrisis, Apr 26, 2004.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

I borrowed a pair of Audionet Amp II monoblocks over the weekend to see a 'next level' power amp would give noticable benefits over my Alectos, driving Nautilus 802s. Other than interestingly, them informing me that my mains cables were wrongly phased, I was surpised at how little beneficial difference I found. Albeit more powerful at 200w and considerably more expensive, I didn't think they added much weight and slam (albeit maybe a bit more dynamic) and if anything were less smooth in the midrange.

I'm waiting to get hold of a pair of Bryston 7bsst's on dem to see if 600W would show a bigger impact...

midlifecrisis, Apr 26, 2004
  2. midlifecrisis

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

MLC, you may yet be under whelmed again.
    A good friend of mine has a 9bst on a pair of 2005 Kefs, very clean, matter of fact and dry.
    He too was more than surprised by a quick comparision with a Belcanto.
    If you like the Alecto's a lot, why not give Graham a call (Trichord) you may find he may well be able up the ante' some what
    :)

wadia-miester, Apr 26, 2004
  3. midlifecrisis

WM - what was the surprise in the comparison with the Belcanto?
    Hadn't thought of talking to Trichord - good suggestion ...

4. midlifecrisis

ronaldo

could you explain mains cables wrongly phased?
    this is a term i have never heard before.
    many thanks

ronaldo, Apr 26, 2004
  5. midlifecrisis

it's when say live on the mains plug wires back to neutral on the iec plug (same as 'polarity'?). the Audionet amps threw up a warning message but carried on working - I swapped the wiring over in the iec plug and they fired up again with no warning. the help manual was geared to European plugs - they said to simply flip the two-prong plug over in the wall socket..

6. midlifecrisis

Lt Cdr Data om

deary me, directional mains leads:rolleyes:

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 26, 2004
  7. midlifecrisis

miswired rather than directionsl - but good point - maybe the amps should spot and warn if your cable was 'not directionally optimised'..

actually I forgot to mention to WM that the Audionets have blue LEDs but still didn't impress......;)

8. midlifecrisis

Graham C

Actually, mains polarities, can be an issue with a lot of setups. It can cause ground hum, and all sorts of taboo phenomena.

Now, I'm not a convert to ley lines and all things audio-voodoo. The trouble is, we can't really discuss it openly, because like ground loops, you can't say generally how to cure anything, only suggestions - or your own experiences. Since the suggestions involve swapping primary wires in power supplies..I'm not about to put ideas into peoples heads. There is stuff on the WWW which is relevant, [though bear in mind electrical codes vary]. A starting point is to measure the case to case AC potential around your system. It doesn't tell you a lot, except that some kit lives in an eddy-current soup...

cheers

Graham C

Graham C, Apr 26, 2004
  9. midlifecrisis

Robbo

MLC,

As I have said before, I think you'd have to spend a lot of money to significantly improve on the Alectos. They are very good amps. Why not do as Tony suggested and see if Graham from trichord can upgrade them.

Robbo, Apr 26, 2004
Ask a Question