Din to RCA wizardry

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Nils, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Nils

Nils

Just out of curiousity, if you were going to change the output/ input jacks of a preamp from DIN to RCA, would this need a change in the circuitry as well? :confused:

I know that switching from balanced to unbalanced requires a splitter or something, but am not sure whether Dins are used in balanced configurations.

Nils, Oct 6, 2005
  2. Nils

michaelab desafinado

Not 100% sure on this but I don't think any circuit change is required. AFAIK DIN is just a different way of achieving the same connections (using a single connector rather than 2).

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 6, 2005
  3. Nils

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

no need to change the circuitry as it olny a multipin conector,however a few things worth bearing in mind is if its an older pre amp the input gain might need adjusting,if the pre is desinged to work with a matching power amp, the output din's spare pins might be used to provied power,and if it comes from Old Sarum way you might be worried about earthing issuse

themadhippy, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Nils

Dick Bowman

I'm also not 100% certain, but I think that way back in time there was a DIN electrical specification in which voltages and impedances were quite different from the RCA norm; it would be sensible to check the equipment specifications.

On the other hand, some manufacturers seem to use DIN just because they like the connector.

Do you have room for RCA sockets? Most items I've seen using DIN exploit the smallness of the connectors.

Dick Bowman, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Nils

Nils

[​IMG]

There's a pic of the back, there should be enough space to get the RCAs in, I may try sending it back to the maker, see if they can do it/ have advice on how to do it. Seems like its not as simple as it sounds :(

Nils, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Nils

lordsummit moderate mod

Why would you want to? It's a very good way of avoiding the tyranny of cable upgrades? Make some good ones yourself or get someone to do it, I used SCSI Bobs for my din to phono's or ask Zanash when he comes back and they'll be more than good enough I would have thought. Din connectors are great, locking ones even better!

lordsummit, Oct 7, 2005
Ask a Question