Direct Drive turntables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, May 10, 2009.

1. Colin2040

speedy.steve

Pl-71

I've given the wood some TLC and it has responded.
    Got the Sumiko headshell and an Achromat arriving today or soon I hope.
    After that I need to just relax and listen and get evn more Vinyl...

I have the likes of Richard aka Gromit and Richard Dunn to thank for putting me on to the PL-71.
    Gromit is even offering to pop round with the SPU so I can try it on my system - should be interesting.

speedy.steve, May 19, 2009
  2. Colin2040

Shuggie

Dave Cawley at Sound HiFi in Dartmouth is a helpful chap who has great expertise in Technics DD decks. He does mods and upgrades for the SL-1200/1210 and has SP10s waiting for refurb. Take a look at http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/index.htm

I've been dabbling in DD decks for a while, with a new SL-1210 which has been fitted with the Time Step PSU; also an old Kenwood KD-770D. With both decks fitted with a TecnoarmA and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, there is a world of difference between them - the Technics is sprightly and dynamic but otherwise rather uninvolving and unmusical (signifiacntly worse with the standard arm, even after fettling by Audio Origami and furnished with Sumiko headshells). Sound HiFi do a motor dynamics mod for the Technics which reduces the torque and may help, so I shall have this done when I can spare the time to go to Dartmouth. The Kenwood is a complete contrast and a bit of a pearl, being graceful and musical.

I'm very keen to hear a Pioneer PL-71, which is said to have the same sort of strengths as my Kenwood.

Shuggie, May 20, 2009
Ask a Question