Distortion from technics 1210

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Chris Larkham, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Chris Larkham

Chris Larkham

Hi - Before I go completely mad I was wondering if anyone can help me.........
    Story so far: Have 1 1210 already - great sound and really happy with so treated myself to a second (ebay sold as perfect).
    Plugged it in the mixer to get hideous hum so investigated and found audio leads been upgraded by twisting new ones on ends of old ones!! Anyway easily sorted with new pair installed right back to whence they originate. (Im handy with a soldering iron).
    Hum gone, but now can play it the signal sounds distorted. Not cartridge or stylus (Stanton 505) as works great on other deck.
    Am I right in thinking there are no electronics in the turntable (for the audio) and basically the cartridge connects straight to the output leads? If thats the case how can distortion be introduced if its a straight thro connection?!!!.
    (Have metered from cart to output leads and have no shorts etc). Also have set it up mechanically (balence etc)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Chris Larkham, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Chris Larkham

sangel

Hi,

This cart has an output of 6 mV - Its rather High.
    This means that the higher the amp volume output then distortion occurs due to the phono High gain.
    Cure: Lower the gain or the volume.

Alternatively Check, step by step and trial and error
    the trucking Force on the styli, try all the values from 2 to 5 grams. - Try 3 grams as a default.
    the input capacitance of the phono input MM. Should be close to the cart's capacitance, ie 275 pf.
    Check your tonearm azimuth, VTA and antiscating.

Next up is cartridge alignment - you’ll need a gauge to do this. While you can get expensive metal gauges, many manufacturers supply a simple but effective card-based alternative in the box.
    his usually consists of two points, each surrounded with printed parallel lines.

The idea is to get the cartridge body square to the lines while the stylus tip is placed on each point. This takes a bit of patience but, once the cartridge is aligned properly, the stylus top will sit at the proper angle in the record groove, distortion levels will drop and record wear will be minimised.

It’s worth taking time to get this right. Errors as small as a degree can lead to large rises in distortion.

STANDON SPECS
    • Stylus Type: Spherical .7 mil
    • Special High Polish
    • Frequency Response: 20 to 17 kHz
    • Nominal Output @ 1kHz: 6.0mV
    • Channel Separation @ 1 kHz: 27dB
    • Channel Balance @ 1 kHz: within 2dB
    • Tracking Force: 2 to 5 grams
    • DC Resistance: 535 ohms nom.
    • Inductance: 400 mH
    • Cartridge Weight: 5.5 g
    • Tracking Ability: 80µ @ 3 grams
    • Recommended Load: 47k ohms and 275 pF
    • Replacement Stylus: N 505
    Check this please
    https://thevinylfactory.com/features/how-to-balance-your-tonearm-a-step-by-step-guide/

Hope i helped

Cheers from Athens Greece

sangel, Mar 8, 2019
    Ian likes this.
Ask a Question