diy wet record cleaning machine

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Sep 20, 2009.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

lol! wind-up! like it.

I think even a Lenco would blow the budget. I'm thinking of some naffy old DJ D/Drive, for perhaps £10!

bottleneck, Sep 25, 2009
  2. bottleneck

speedy.steve

I have done ~170 LPs now on the homemade wet and suck system.
    Used about half the 0.5lt IPA I ordered and a tiny amount of wetting agent.

The results are really very good. As Tony says as long as the cleaning action and the suck is right there is no reason why the grooves will not come out just as clean with this as with a pro machine.

I use belt drive TT cos that's what I had - this is powerful enough for using a carbon fibre brush to remove the worst of the dust and wetting the record evenly. Then it's over to a record weight to spin the disc forward and backwards by hand while applying the cleaning pad this gives the grooves a good scrub back and forth.
    Then belt drive again and on with the vac progressing the arm across by hand at the 'right' rate.
    Takes about 3 mins per LP.

I won't put a record on without having cleaned it first. New or old.

speedy.steve, Sep 26, 2009
  3. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Saw the Loricraft record cleaner at the show yesterday.

What a brilliant bit of kit :O

Hugely hugely expensive, but for once you can see something that makes you think... "well it REALLY IS better though...."

So quiet in it's cleaning.. you could play music whilst cleaning records, wow.

want one.

Want £1,600 more however...

bottleneck, Sep 27, 2009
  4. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

It's a beautiful thing, but because it tracks the record rather than slurping the whole side in one go it takes a hell of a lot longer. I prefer the speed of my VPI despite the additional noise, but I clean 20-50 LPs every week - a RCM is just a tool of my job and the quicker the cleaning process the better as long as the result is acceptable.

Tony.

TonyL, Sep 27, 2009
Ask a Question