Django Tx preamplifier and LCR Cole phono amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by grivois, Jan 11, 2006.

1. grivois

grivois

I've been hankering over a tx passive preamp for some time. I fancy a Bent NOH with the remote option, but its now discontinued (anyone want to sell theirs?). An alternative is the Django S&B tx preamplifier that seems to be much the same without the RC option.

I'm using active near fields and need to use at least 6M interconnects between them and the preamp. Does anyone know what the maximum length of IC, relative to capacitance, that can be used without loosing dynamics (perhaps using the +6dB gain setting)?

Also, while browsing the DiYhifi site, I found they offer some impressively spec'd phono amps for very little outlay, such as the LCR Cole. I'm presently using a modified, a la Thorsten, EAR 834 phono amp that I'm very happy with. However, now I've heard what can be achieved with valves, I want to push the envelope a bit further, so the LCR Cole seems very tempting. Has anyone tried one?

grivois, Jan 11, 2006
  2. grivois

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I would recommend no more than 1nF for unity gain and no more than 250pF (appx) for +6db stepup. HOWEVER, this limit applies ONLY if you have the volume control full up (endstop). As soon as you start attenuating the signal you get the square of the attenuation back in drive ability.

Both Cole's are based around designs from me. The Standard one is basically a hotrod variant of the "Valve El Cheapo".

The LCR Cole keeps the same output stage and much of the Powersupply, but changes the Input stage from resistively loaded ECC83/12AX7 to constant current source loaded ECC88/6DJ8/6922 which in turn is coupled directly to a S&B 600 Ohm LCR RIAA Unit (which is a joint design of JB from S&B with some input from me).

Both are very fine Phonostages and good enough to play in the really big league.

While (due to my involvement with S&B) you may ignore my recommendation to make sure to keep all Iron S&B, I would still strongly advise it. All I know is that the first LCR Cole that was build using all S&B never made it to the customer (who happened to be a friend of mine and upgraded to a Cole LCR & Django with S&B from Fi Y & Fi Yph Preamp combo with EAR MC3 Stepups IIRC), a second had to be build.... ;)

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  3. grivois

Tenson Moderator

Lol do you think the postman wanted a better phono pre-amp!?

Tenson, Jan 11, 2006
  4. grivois

Hi,

No, DIYHiFiSupply did, Brian kept that one.... ;-)

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 11, 2006
  5. grivois

grivois

Django + Cole

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for your response. I'll give the S&B Django with LCR Cole a go.

grivois

grivois, Jan 12, 2006
  6. grivois

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am interested in this path also - keep my posted grivois!

anon_bb, Jan 12, 2006
  7. grivois

Dev Moderator

Hi Thorsten,

Another question for you.

How easily can these pre-amps can be modified such that one of the inputs is simply shorted to the output? I.e. provides unity gain for use with an AV amp.

IIRC, Michael did that with his Bent Audio which has similar design.

Dev, Jan 12, 2006
  8. grivois

Hi,

If you have enough spare switch contacts (IE not in stock versions) on the input switch or are prepared to add a further switch, quite easy.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 12, 2006
  9. grivois

grivois

DiYHifiSupply have a fully assembled and tested Django with S&B, silver wire with cotton piping and silver RCAs in stock, so I've ordered that. I'll see how it gets through French customs before ordering the Cole.

grivois, Jan 13, 2006
Ask a Question