Do I need equalizer for my setup?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lukas2204, Jul 12, 2008.

1. lukas2204

RobHolt Moderator

Quite simply, no.
    Unless that is you are using extremely thin speaker cable over long runs.

If you want to experiment with cables try borrowing some or agree with a dealer that you can return them if necessary.

RobHolt, Jul 15, 2008
  2. lukas2204

lbr monkey boy

I believe that quality cables are a prerequisite for optimal performance. However, i doubt that any cables would significantly increase bass extension in your system. As per the above post, try to have a play in a low risk way - speak to a dealer or buy 2nd hand with a view to selling on if they don't do it for you.

lbr, Jul 15, 2008
  3. lukas2204

kt66

For the interconnects just get a QED Quenex 1 2 or 3 if you're feeling flash or the entry level Chord.

For a laugh a used Nordost Solar Wind or Black Knight could be got for £40

kt66, Jul 15, 2008
  4. lukas2204

Tenson Moderator

Even better value is something from Maplin or one of eBays pro cable vendors.

Tenson, Jul 15, 2008
  5. lukas2204

lukas2204

Guys many thanks for taking so much care of my setup ;)

Where could I buy those cables? Could you post some links? And which are those eBay pro cable vendors from which you would recommend to buy some stuff?

thank you

lukas

lukas2204, Jul 15, 2008
  6. lukas2204

Tenson Moderator

Rob will be able to help I hope. He bought some XLR cables from them. Seemed like good value. There are lots of people selling generic cables made from the standard pro wire and plugs, though.

www.studiospares.com sell some surprisingly good quality cables.

Tenson, Jul 15, 2008
  7. lukas2204

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Its where I'd look first. Lukas is reporting no bass, which sounds like a fairly gross effect, not the sort of thing you would ever expect to change much with any cable kerfuffling.

Lukas, double check that the red speaker outs on the back of the amp connect to the red inputs on the speaker backs (and the blacks connect to the blacks) check it by following the wires themselves. If you have one swapped over accidentally, the result will be no bass (among other things).

Uncle Ants, Jul 16, 2008
  8. lukas2204

lukas2204

Thank you for suggestion. It was the first thing I checked even when playing on mp3. One of the cables is marked but I rather checked the whole cable and red goes to red. I've got a cable from my friend just for testing purposes who thinks that buying an extremely expensive cable does not make sense. So he gave me Hama cable. It's not that long about 2 meters for each speaker and it's 1.5mm2 thick which is I think thick enough.
    When I play my setup at low volume, my speakers don't produce any bass and there's not much trebles as well. If I go to 9 o'clock the detail starts to come into place. Just for information I'm using really crappy and very cheap interconnects so I'm wondering whether those are not responsible for this state.

I'll definitely give the setup a try in other room as well so I'll keep you all updated. In the meantime if anybody has any idea, please fell free to shoot.
    Once again many thanks to all of you who're helping me a lot.

cheers
    lukas

lukas2204, Jul 16, 2008
Ask a Question