Do inline attenuators work?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dos, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dos

dos

Have been looking at the Russ andrews site and have stumbled across their attenuated interconnects.

Do they cure that hard cd sound as they claim? There seem to be one or two on ebay too. Anybody use these?

dos, Mar 8, 2008
  2. dos

COOLGUY

I have ordered one. I had too much gain in my system, could not listen silently, as the gear was too loud at low volume setting.

the attenuator did reduce the volume, but had a negative impact on the treble. I never used it, I cant say they are all like this maybe I got a faulty pair.

COOLGUY, Mar 8, 2008
  3. dos

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Well yes in a sense - they also slug the dynamics - I doubt you will like them.

YNMOAN, Mar 8, 2008
  4. dos

Blue Note

It's quite interesting actually. I tried these things a while ago because I noticed that CDs recorded at a low level (where you need to turn the volume up a little from normal) often sounded good. Whereas CDs recorded at a higher level (where you need to turn the volume down) almost invariably sound bad.

So I tried them, and they work – sort of. They do seem to tame some of the high frequency aggression that CDs recorded at too high a level have, but I have to agree with Ynmoan, they do squidge the dynamics. They make the system more 'easy-listening', but is that what you want?

Blue Note, Mar 8, 2008
  5. dos

la toilette Downright stupid

I never noticed any ill-affects when I used Rothwell attenuators, they just did what I expected them to - reduced the gain a bit.

la toilette, Mar 8, 2008
  6. dos

PSXmad2

If it would help I can send a pair for you to try, not RA but perfectly fine, -10db. I use a set between my pre and powers to lower the noise floor and like them. Drop me a pm if interested.
    Regards
    Tony

PSXmad2, Mar 8, 2008
  7. dos

speedy.steve

They basically are a resistor inline - ok posh and matched but they increase the impedance - this may match your amp inputs but it may not.
    Impedance of complex signal AC is not something I understand well but I have learned that getting rid of 100K volume pot and using a Transformer volume control improved the sound a lot esp at lower listening vols. so I would not want to put a another impedance raiser back in...
    So it depends on your system. If you are not that bothered they certainly work to quieten the signal.

speedy.steve, Mar 8, 2008
  8. dos

SMEagol Because we wants it...

A resounding yes, trilogy 918 pre-amp high gain, monarchy audio sm70 monoblocks - high sensitivity. Together don't work, all you hear is electrical hum, and have to use the volume like a safe cracker as the volume is so loud. Add the Rothwells into the mix, this really is sonic bliss, a stunning combo, that otherwise wouldn't be do-able!

SMEagol, Mar 8, 2008
  9. dos

dos

Mmmmmmm.....from all the comments I surmise that the Russ andrews website is a trifle optomistic when it promises to 'cure that hard cd sound' with attenuators

dos, Mar 8, 2008
  10. dos

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Have a pair of rothwells as new £20 plus postage if anyone is interested. . .? PM me

larkrise, Mar 8, 2008
  11. dos

speedy.steve

Ah RA marketing - They probably have fairy dust sprinkled on them.

speedy.steve, Mar 8, 2008
  12. dos

dos

Where can I buy some of that...I looked on ebay ;)

dos, Mar 8, 2008
  13. dos

SimpleLife

Hi Dos,

I ordered my Rothwell from http://www.hificollective.co.uk/accessorieshome.html

Fast delivery !!

After applied between my Quad QC24 and Quad 909, the "hum" noise from the speaker is greatly lowered. Also, now I only turn the volume to 9am and got the required sound level. Previoulsy, I need to goto 11:30am.

Greeting !!

SimpleLife, Mar 10, 2008
  14. dos

anon_bb Honey Badger

I tried the rothwell in line attenuators but the degradation in sound quality was too noticeable.

anon_bb, Mar 10, 2008
  15. dos

zanash

of course this is a yes ...do they sound any good would have been a better question !

there are too many factors that influence the sound of an amp ..these just add a couple more.

What I can say is the better the resistors used then the less degredation to use brizons word you will hear ....this also assumes you have a system of such immense resolution you can actually hear there effect.

As alway try before you buy ....

zanash, Mar 10, 2008
  16. dos

Baudrillard

I have a pair of 'as new' Rothwell inline attenuators in their boxes. Completely mint and only briefly used. £20 plus postage (probably around a quid). PM me if interested.

Baudrillard, Mar 10, 2008
  17. dos

anubisgrau

if you use DIY cables, it's better to calculate a resistor value you need for an optimum gain and than to solder an appopriate, hi quality resistor directly into the connectors (before /or after, depending how you look:)/ the cable). the sound will be always different and certainly not better, but it can be acceptable depending on a quality of the resistor you use.

anubisgrau, Mar 10, 2008
  18. dos

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

If you're up to that level of DIYing though it is better to reduce the gain of your amplifier.

SMEagol's comment is unsurprising as the SM70s have HUGE amounts of voltage gain, especially in bridged mode. I will be modifying mine to a lower voltage gain in the near future, along with a few other judicious modifications...

I-S, Mar 10, 2008
  19. dos

COOLGUY

DIY inline attenuators, XLR

my friend made me a couple... soldered some high quality matched resistors inside xlr neutric interconnect.

I gave him the output impedance of the cdp, (low] the input impdedance of the power amp, (high)
    and he managed to match the series and paralell resistor values so that they are ok with the system.
    contrary to the rothwells, these cables are my best preamplifiers... nothing sounds better in the home.
    Of course its not convenient to change volume..

I got them built to hear my cdp without the interference of a preamp.

I have a couple. - 30 dB attenuation is my favourite, gives a reasonable volume direct from cdp to power amp.
    I have a couple of other attenuation values...-20, and -34 which I havent even tried yet, it is a very high attenuation.. almost a mute..:)
    I think, its not really rothwells fault, it seems the benefit of these things highly depends on how they match the source and load electric parameters

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
    COOLGUY, Mar 10, 2008
  20. dos

COOLGUY

P.S.
    http://www.audiosynthesis.co.uk/passion.htm
    An inline attenuator seems to be in fact a passive preamp built into an interconnect.
    This article has a good summary of the preconditions of a passive pre working well.
    So I assume, if in somebodys system these conditions are not met, the attenuator will not serve well.

COOLGUY, Mar 10, 2008
Ask a Question