Do inline attenuators work?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dos, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dos

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Music First now do a pair of transformer attenuators - supposed to be sound degradation free - haven't tried them - was going to but the preamp I wanted to try them with has gone - but have heard good things - I think Noteworthy Audio has them. A possibe alternative to resistors?

larkrise, Mar 10, 2008
  2. dos

anubisgrau

oh if it's music first than it must be cheap;=)

anubisgrau, Mar 10, 2008
  3. dos

anon_bb Honey Badger

I plugged the inline attenuators straight into the electronic crossover and it still didn't sound any good unfortunately.

anon_bb, Mar 10, 2008
  4. dos

lbr monkey boy

There seem to be a fair few sets of Rothwell Attenuators coming up for sale, but let me throw mine into the ring as well - £12 inclusive of postage if anyone wants them. Considerably less than they cost, but considerably more than they're worth - can't say fairer than that!

lbr, Mar 11, 2008
  5. dos

rollo

Good post . Very informative. Passives are not for everyone. If the shoe fits though give one a try. Have fun trying.
    There are a lot of the Rothwells for sale on the used market. wonder why ? Works for some and not others.
    Opinions are just that, opinions. Try one its the only way to KNOW.

charles

rollo, Mar 11, 2008
  6. dos

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

absolute peanuts Gordan - £200, a snip at that price. Fortunately don't need attenuating any more:MILD:.

larkrise, Mar 16, 2008
  7. dos

ddtwelve

ibr ill take them off your hands

ddtwelve, Sep 13, 2008
  8. dos

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

The ones I tried absolutely stifled the dynamic - they were supposed to be completely transparent too.

YNMOAN, Sep 13, 2008
  9. dos

defride

Surprised at the positive comments re Rothwell attenuators. Gain was to high from my Wadia into an MF A5 pwr using its volume control. Tried them and they certainly worked re gain but destroyed the sound. Hifi to mid-fi in a stroke. Traded the MF.

defride, Sep 13, 2008
  10. dos

jaspal kallar

I had similar degradation experiences with the Rothwell's but as usual YMMV.

jaspal

jaspal kallar, Sep 13, 2008
  11. dos

D Louth 77

These negative effects ,were they heard after the attenuators were run in ? If a quick try and poor result was found maybe running in would be needed . The output of a cd player or phono stage is low enough to require quite a few hours of use before the resistor would be fully run in. I met Andrew Rothwell a very long time ago(16 years) and found him to be a very clever and sensibile designer , IMHO. And also a fun guy . Voltage between pre and power might be a bit higher so require a bit less run in than a source component.

A few years ago ,when trying out the Pathos Classic one (MK 2 early one) . I had overload problems with the XLR inputs ,Pathos changed the design by putting high quality attenuators on the input(internally) made a huge difference and did not negatively alter the sound .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question