Dodgy seller about

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Jun 30, 2003.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Don't know if anyone else noticed this on Pinkfish, but it's worth a read. A few salutory tales here I think.

Beware all second hand hi-fi buyers

Sounds like someone needs one of these:chop:

lordsummit, Jun 30, 2003
  2. lordsummit

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

As someone said on that forum "if its too good to be true it probably is".

This is why I prefer to get x-dem/sh stuff from dealers. Ok you may not get quite a good deal but at least you have a point of reference.

davidcotton, Jun 30, 2003
  3. lordsummit

GAZZ

Puts me right off buying 2nd hand. I can't remember who, but on the groovehandle forum someone posted saying only buy 2nd hand if you can go and demo it and pick it up. This sounded good advice to me.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Jun 30, 2003
  4. lordsummit

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

All my stuff is genuine!!

Just thought I'd better mention that... :)

Seriously though, it's a good job these forums exist to help make people aware of sellers like this one. It all sounds very suspicious.

Cheers

timpy, Jun 30, 2003
  5. lordsummit

MO! MOnkey`ead!

very suspicious indeed! I'll assume one of them has since contacted the "authorities" to investigate further!

I've only had one problem in many second hand buys (hifi and ther stuff). Was on my first attempt at a purchase. Oh so naiive! Cheque for the item (speakers) and £20 cash for the postage! As I type this now i realise MOre and MOre how stupid it was to fall for it. But my first experience! You live and learn. lol! Someone apparently beat me to the sale, so he'd post the £20 back and either post or the destroy the cheque. either arrived. Cancelled the cheque but never got the £20 back!

His "name" was Paul Killingsworth! A sure sign! How didn't I see it??????

:rolleyes:

MO!, Jul 1, 2003
  6. lordsummit

cookiemonster

If i'm spending more than a couple hundred quid, i will only buy if i am able to collect with cash payment. Otherwise i will leave it - another will more than likely come along.

I've been fortunate enough never to have had any problems. In fact, with regard to my above point, i have never come across a genuine seller who has not been willing to allow collection/inspection/demo. In most cases they encourage it, being audio enthusiasts themselves.

cookiemonster, Jul 1, 2003
  7. lordsummit

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I've got to say if you have doubts then check it out.

I've bought and sold loads of kit and haven't had any problem with the money side of things. As cm said if it is for quite a bit of money then meet up with them. That usually sorts the men out from the conmen.

Also it can happen the other way. There are some very genuine bankers drafts around, so when I sell I only accept cash or wait for payment to clear.

Remember this doesn't happen very often and it shouldn't put you off of buying 2nd hand from a private individual. Just be careful.

LiloLee, Jul 1, 2003
  8. lordsummit

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I hsould restate that, that was only one promblem i've had in (between myself and Mrs MO) many s/h buys! It was down to not really being aware of what to look out for! Don't be afraid to question the seller! You're the one with the cash! MOre than likely he/she will want the cheque to clear before posting too, so its in your court there! My two MOre expensive purchases have since been collected in person and payed for in cash.

It in no way has put me off s/h! Just made me MOre aware!

MO!, Jul 1, 2003
  9. lordsummit

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Surely Lee, that's a good thing ;)

Cheers

timpy, Jul 1, 2003
  10. lordsummit

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Brain still not working properly. Should have read

LiloLee, Jul 2, 2003
Ask a Question