Does Krell KAV400xi do PRat?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Jan 17, 2004.

1. JohnMak

Robbo

2. JohnMak

michaelab desafinado

John, since your using Dynaudios I would strongly recommend the SimAudio i-5 which is a natural partner for Dynaudios. Dynaudio use SimAudio amplifiers when they take their speakers to shows in North America.

I have a pair of 1.3MkIIs and, having auditioned both the Krell KAV-400xi and the SimAudio i-5 together in my system I much preferred the SimAudio and will hopefully be getting one soon.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 18, 2004
  3. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Michaelab,
    Many thanks for the input ... the two alternative contenders to NAIM seem to be the Sim Audio i5 and the Bel Canto eVo and eVo2. The Sim gear on the 'net looks great and futuristic - haven't checked any reviews yet but I'm going to do that now. The Bel Canto looks pretty plain but has some outstanding reviews.

I need to talk to my contact here tomorrow and find out if he has access to get either of these into the country.
    Cheers

JohnMak, Jan 18, 2004
  4. JohnMak

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sim audio - great if you want to make coffee... sorry couldn;t resist.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 18, 2004
  5. JohnMak

Robbo

Blimey, it sounds that good and makes the coffee as well? why doesnt everyone use it?

Robbo, Jan 18, 2004
  6. JohnMak

michaelab desafinado

SimAudio... coffee :confused: ??

Anyway, yes the BelCanto eVo2i was also on my shortlist but since it would have been impossible to listen to one in my system (they're not represented in Portugal where I live) I wasn't prepared to throw £3K+ at a shot in the dark even if it's had excellent reviews.

AFAIK BelCanto only make one integrated, the eVo2i so if you're after an integrated that's the model you'll want.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 18, 2004
  7. JohnMak

Steven Toy

Michael,

It doesn't just apply to low notes but to all notes. A system that doesn't do PR&T will not be able to put spaces between individual notes, so that they actually will blur together. A system that does good PR&T is a system where the tune is (or tunes are) easy to follow.

For PR&T to work then leading edge definition has to be consistent throughout the whole frequency range. I've heard systems with well-defined bass but with mushy/spashy treble, for example, and that does not make for good PR&T as it is as though the music is being delivered to your ears via different scoresheets.

Steven Toy, Jan 19, 2004
  8. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Michaelab,
    Yes I'm in the same situation as you. I can't get to audition anything in Vietnam so I'll have to buy blind. A little scary.
    I've checked out the Sim on the 'net .... also very well reviewed.

Re the Bel Canto eVo, I didn't particularly want an integrated.

I have a Sony 9000ES system for HT. The Sony ES DVD player, processor, multichannel analogue amp and multi channel power amp. So if I buy just a good stereo power amp for the L & R channels and dedicated CD player, I can either run the CD player directly in to the power amp - if I get one with a volume control, or I can run it through two channels only of the multi channel analogue pre-amp. That way I can still use the Sony system for Home Theatre. To do this the Sim sounds like a good option and I will still be able to play SACD's through the Sony DVD/SACD player.

JohnMak, Jan 19, 2004
  9. JohnMak

michaelab desafinado

One feature the SimAudio has is "home theatre throughput" where one of the inputs bypasses the volume control so it can be used as a power for the fronts in a home cinema setup. Since I require that feature it has reduced my shortlist of amps quite considerably. Fortunately for me the SimAudio has it :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 19, 2004
  10. JohnMak

skp574

I kinda like my Krell :( . I haven't heard the Sim Audio so can't comment in any way. But I think the Krell sounds good to my ear. But each to their own.

skp574, Jan 23, 2004
  11. JohnMak

Tuan Nguyen

Krell KAV 400xi is a very good amp. It has good power, fast and good timing.

Tuan Nguyen, Jan 23, 2004
  12. JohnMak

JohnMak

Tuan Nguyen,
    Chuc Mung Nam Oi for 2004. You didn't return for Tet this year?

I would love to have heard the Krell but it was a guy of a ship selling it and I only had three days to make up my mind. It seemed a bit of a punt after reading the first few responses and now his vessel has left so I've lost that chance.

Where I'm working in Vung Tau, Vietnam, is an oil town so there seem to always be expats passing through with good kit to sell. Something else will come up.

Many thanks to all for your input.

JohnMak, Jan 23, 2004
  13. JohnMak

Tuan Nguyen

Chuc Mung Nam Moi to you too John. I think when it comes to HiFi, we just have to test it out before buying. There is no other way unless you are upgrading and stay within a well known system like Naim, Linn, Spectral... If you happen to like the Naim sound then just stick with it and buy from Singapore. Reading from your postings, a CDX2 and a Nait5i (the new model Nait5i has 50W/channel in to 8 ohm) would make you happy for now. The Nait5i can be sold few years from now (with little lost) and the CDX2 will serve you well for years to come. I have the CDX2 and the XPS2 combo and very happy with it. I may upgrade my NAP250 to the NAP300 model this week end when my dealer bring it to my place (for few days demo). Tuan.

Tuan Nguyen, Jan 23, 2004
  14. JohnMak

dave_b

Hi from the home of Krell! I'm a long time audionut who has owned most of Krell's lineup..including the new Evo rig (which I just sold). In addition, I've owned alot of other gear from Levinson, ARC, BAT, CJ, Mcintosh, Wadia, Wilson, B&W, Dunlavy, Martin Logan ..etc... That being said, the 400xi is unique in the fact that it is maybe one of the best integrated units ever made for solid state lovers. I have purchased 4 of them for various systems and for my brother. It is as good as the cabling and speakers it is mated with in so much as you give it a demanding load to drive. When properly mated, it is transparent like nothing else, dynamic and sweet on top. Midrange is warm yet neutral overall. It is quirk free and dead quiet. I sold my Evo stuff because it did not have the life and finesse of my FPB gear nor the compelling nature of my 400xi!! I rely on MIT/Transparent cabling for my systems after going down the long road of cable ownership and upgrades over the years(owned a ton of all the major brands)...none deliver music as well as my Oracles and MM stuff. I would get the Krell 400 xi in a heartbeat...martin colloms would agree, and that means more than some of the armchair reviewers posting here.

dave_b, Feb 21, 2007
Ask a Question