Domesticating studio monitors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Labarum, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Labarum

Labarum

Would you think, Rob, there would be a niche for a small company domesticating (active) studio monitor - applying wood veneer and a front grill?

Many of them have a sculpted front baffle and that complicates the issue, but I look at the price and performance of these monitors, then look at the cosmetic considerations and walk away.

Labarum, Oct 21, 2013
  2. Labarum

Tenson Moderator

I think with older models it could be done but as you say most of the new ones have moulded parts all over. Looking at a pair of Alesis monitors now and they have a tweeter waveguide that wraps around the top of the cabinet and houses a power button. If they didn't have that (like the older model) you could at least veneer the top/bottom and sides.

Tenson, Oct 21, 2013
  3. Labarum

RobHolt Moderator

Perhaps adopt the old Kef and Mordaunt Short method of using a fabric wrap. You could use decorative end caps.

ATC actives look domesticated in the wood finishes, then there's Meridian who've been making advanced active monitors for the domestic market since the late 1970s.

Then there's B&O.......

RobHolt, Oct 21, 2013
  4. Labarum

DSJR

Meridian had some advanced ideas, but were let down in the execution I believe, plus the continued need to tinker during production.

I'd like to hear some of the early 90's Spendor actives though, since they did look ok as I recall.

DSJR, Oct 26, 2013
  5. Labarum

Tenson Moderator

The studio where I did work experience had some Spendor actives and they were rather boring. Clean sounding, but just lacking 'drive'. I wonder if I can find them on Google...

Ahh yes SA300. I can't find a frequency response but I wonder if they had a bit of a presence range dip. I did admire them at the time but I think to be honest it was the dedicated RFZ control room that gave the clean sound!

Tenson, Oct 26, 2013
Ask a Question