Downsizing the system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by davidcotton, Nov 3, 2004.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hi

Well after spending a fun (not!) couple of days clearing out my room in preparation for sky+ to be installed, I've come to the conclusion that I've got rather a lot more stuff than my poor ole 3x3m room can comfortably handle.

System atm is :-

Marantz 66 KI Sig amp

Marantz 63 KI Sig cdp

Tone modded Maudio superdac/psu.

Mission 780s on atacama stands, kimber vdh cables.

2x mana stand bases.

Pioneer dvd player, panasonic (8 year old!) vhs (wossat then I hear the younger ones cry :))

Xcans v2 and Xpsu.

All balanced more or less on a five stand Target Rack.

Not only is the above in the room there is also a 21 " panasonic tv, gamecube and xbox in there as well. There is also the required amount of cables/power cables in there as well. So as you can imagine space is at a premium!

I was thinking along the lines of cutting out some of the boxes and hence some of the cables and freeing up some space. So came up with this idea.

Part ex the Amp and cdp, put the money towards something like a Linn Classik, a one box wonder of cdp, amp and tuner. Get rid of the vhs (its on its last legs, poor thing) and dvd player and get a multi region hdd player from somewhere like richers. Probably part ex xcans/psu as I hardly use them enough to justify the space. Keep the dac and route the signals from Sky plus and the hdd dvd recorder through it, with the dac plugged into the aux input on the classik.

Hey presto 6 boxes down to 3 and less cluttering up with cables.

I realise that this ain't going to be the ultimate in sound reproduction, but I'm now at the point where I just want to play some music without having a load of boxes around :eek: Also in my room I've come to the conclusion that it's never going to show any component in their best light as its too cramped to get the perfect installation. I've also grown bored of tweeking and the lure of cable swopping etc has now worn off. I just wanna spend the money on the cds:)

Please no quips about "moving out" or "get a better room" as these simply arnt on the horizon atm. Theres just no way I could comfortably afford to move right now so am stuck with this situation.

Just wondered what you thought of the above idea, and has anybody else thought of, done similar things.

Cheers

David

PS I've shifted the above system into the spare room atm, and my back is quaking at the thought of having to shift it all back (particularly the bloody amp!)

davidcotton, Nov 3, 2004
  2. davidcotton

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

easy!

get shot of the gamescube (keeping the X-box!) and get rid of the VHS video player.. and all your VHS videos.

tada!!!

:D

bottleneck, Nov 3, 2004
  3. davidcotton

andrew1810

Keep the gamecube (new Zelda in Jan!!) and get rid of that massive noisy Microsoft Box thingy.

Will free up loads of room!!

Swap the TV for a TFT or plasma

Problem solved, no messing with the hifi

:MILD:

andrew1810, Nov 3, 2004
  4. davidcotton

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Well if you like the Linn, why not go one step further and get the Classik Movie. That then gets rid of the DVD player.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a Sky+ box that includes a hard disk recorder.

technobear, Nov 4, 2004
  5. davidcotton

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Sky+ is a sky decoder with a hard disc for storage and caching.

Also the best thing since sliced bread - my missus moaned like hell about me getting it, now she wouldnt part with it for anything.

Get rid of the Maratnz cdp, the dvd, get rid of the gamecube (pants) and get the linn classik (u can still use your dac with this).

Sorted. (you can also put sky+ thro the dac too!)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
    lAmBoY, Nov 4, 2004
  6. davidcotton

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Sell the bloody TV and all associated paraphernalia as it rots the brain anyway - that way you'll have room for more music and books and won't have to pay Mr Murdoch a penny. :D

Uncle Ants, Nov 4, 2004
  7. davidcotton

mr cat Member of the month

who the f*ck wants games machines..?? and sky..??? you spend most of your time flicking through different channels anyway...sigh..

mr cat, Nov 4, 2004
  8. davidcotton

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'd go with the Classik. It'll probably sound at least as good as the kit you have now anyway.

PBirkett, Nov 4, 2004
  9. davidcotton

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Unfortunately, Mr Murdoch has his fingers in many pies and owns at least one publishing company. Random House, I believe.

Thankfully, he hasn't got his grubby mitts on any music firms yet. Or has he?

My name is Ron, Nov 4, 2004
  10. davidcotton

Donut

Hey David, if you do decide to get rid of the X-PSU let me know, I might be interested.
    Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Nov 4, 2004
Ask a Question