dull bass

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Feb 1, 2005.

1. amir

amir

Accuphase DP-55V
    Krell 300iL
    Dynaudio audience 82
    Monster speakercable M1.2s

alittle dull and out of control bass in some tracks from metalica, diana krall.
    should i upgrade my amplifier or speakercable is my problem?

amir, Feb 1, 2005
  2. amir

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Room.

I-S, Feb 1, 2005
  3. amir

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

try your speakers in different positions, also make sure they are rigidly supported and not wobbling.

alanbeeb, Feb 1, 2005
  4. amir

ListeningEar

..I am not familiar with the Monster cable you are using but when I lived in the USA up until 2003 I was not impressed with any of the Monster products. The only application they seemed suitable for for for low-to-mid surround sound systems.
    Get down to your dealer and see if you can borrow some different cables.
    As regard the room, if you have recesses such as space either side of a chimney breast then these could be acting as a bass drain. I have come across all too many customers where these type of recesses suck out the bass from the room.
    Maybe give the forum some room dimensions and idea of shape.
    What type of equipment support are you using?

ListeningEar, Feb 1, 2005
  5. amir

amir

room size is 4.5m (W) 9m (L) 3m (H)
    i so tryed to find best place to my speakers but in every place bass is dull and in some tracks out of control and speaker bass drivers move in unregular manner(jumping out so). i confused?! it's hard to me believe that krell can not drive it!

amir, Feb 1, 2005
  6. amir

greg Its a G thing

I guess the best approach is work from the cheapest option upwards - ie. trying different speaker positions is free of charge, borrowing alternative cables again is free (unless you become smitten :) ) then perhaps consider trying different supports (both for speakers and equipment) if you can borrow some gear to try then all the better. I would personally say it is most likely to be room interactions, or inadequately isolating supports and least likely to be your Krell amp.

For example my listening room has several nodes, some dodgy reflective areas and floor boards. The combination seems to suck bass out in some areas and reflect very boomily in others.
    HTH
    G

greg, Feb 1, 2005
  7. amir

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Buy a Rel

Levi_501, Feb 1, 2005
  8. amir

greg Its a G thing

Dont buy a Rel! :)

greg, Feb 1, 2005
  9. amir

penance Arrogant Cock

I concour :)

penance, Feb 1, 2005
  10. amir

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Go with the Rel, they are superb !

I nearly bought another the other day, but it was a Mk 1 version and would not match my Mk 2 !

Levi_501, Feb 1, 2005
  11. amir

greg Its a G thing

Well with a heavyweight disclaimer attached I am of the personal opinion that Rel use substandard drivers and amps in relation to the RRP price. My experience of using Rel's and listening to Rel's has been at times interesting but I am not convinced by them. If we were making recommendations on subs around the typical Rel price mark I'd probably suggest looking at MJ Acoustics ref 1 (and ideally a pair if poss).

Besides I dont really think amir adding a Rel sub is going to solve his problem.

greg, Feb 1, 2005
  12. amir

Dev Moderator

I won't comment on RELs but I'd like to know how any sub can help an amp drive a speaker more effectively. That is after all what Amir says his problem is (I think).

Dev, Feb 1, 2005
  13. amir

penance Arrogant Cock

Exactly Dev, from Amir's description, its not lack of bass but integration/deffinition issues. So adding a sub is not going to help.
    I also agree with Greg fwiw

penance, Feb 1, 2005
  14. amir

greg Its a G thing

True Dev. If the problem is his room then adding bass, controlled (non Rel) or otherwise (Rel :)) is only going to confuse matters and probably make the problem far worse.

greg, Feb 1, 2005
  15. amir

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Having heard a 300i, I suspect that the equipment is resolutely not the problem. I've just put my system into its new room without any setup or anything, and it is some way off where it was in the previous room. This talk of adding subs when depth/weight are not the problem seems absurd.

I-S, Feb 1, 2005
  16. amir

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You don't need a sub to get bass, full range speakers are far better inho

wadia-miester, Feb 1, 2005
  17. amir

greg Its a G thing

Isaac, I would say that the 300il is supposed to sound very different to the 300i. When I bought my 300i countless people told me to steer clear of the 300il. Now I am relaying third person opinion - I cant concur or deny as I havent heard a 300il and furthermore I cant imagine the 300il is likely to have any trouble driving and controlling the speakers in question. One thing the Krell integrateds seem good at is control and they are well know for their ability to drive decent, clean bass.

greg, Feb 1, 2005
  18. amir

Curt

Hi Amir,
    Hope you are well mate :D
    You may or may not know i have had Dynaudio speakers for 7 years now and am currently running 1.3 MkII's.
    I am also using Krell KAV 400xi amplification...which is nice :cool:
    I have always found with the Dyns though very neutral, revealing and excellent sounding they have a potential bass issue, they are difficult to site in rooms due to the port tuning and are a complete nitemare to drive :confused:
    The 82's are even more difficult to drive than my 1.3's :confused: but that Krell has plenty of power though they could still probably benefit from more :eek:
    One good trick i have found is to try bunging the ports with a few different materials.
    Try the foam bungs provided and also cotton wool, jeycloths and womens stockings :)
    I prefer not to use the foam bungs on mine as it seems to bleach the midrange.
    The other methods let more air flow through and sound more natural.
    This should tighten up the bass somewhat and provide you with some tuning.
    Also the Drivers will have less excursion with the ports bunged.
    Once i done this i added a sub and the bass now in my room is controlled as the Sub integrates a lot better in the room than the chuffing rear ports of the Dyns.
    The bass should be tight and slightly warm on Dyns rather than dull.
    You may also want to try some other speaker cables to get better texture in the bass.
    PS: I take it the room is ground level and on concrete floors?

HTH's
    Curtis

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2005
    Curt, Feb 1, 2005
  19. amir

ListeningEar

What typemof floor do you have? All types of floor surface will have an effect on the loudspeakers, but if you say that the bass is out of control this makes me think of customers I have visited where they are using inadequate/in-effective/improperly set up stands.

In todays World of home-owners replacing carpet with mass-produced hard-surface flooring (I will not use wood as most of it isn't although it looks like wood), I have seen many cases of this new second layer of hard flooring having a natural 'spring' to it making it extremely difficult to place loudspeakers, in particular stand mounts effectively.

I went to one home where a laminate florr was down and the client was using £2.5k stands (!) with reference monitors and when I placed my brand of monitors on these the bass was totally out of control. This was directly due to the laminate flooring not being laid properly.

I think you are going to have to go with the general advice of checking the free/least expensive issues first then take it from there.

If you want a cheap way of testing the floor (if you have laminate), is go down to your garden centre and geta couple of garden paving slabs large enough to take the foot-print of your speakers and stands. See if it makes any difference mounting them on the slabs. At a couple of Pounds per slab that's a real cheap test.

If this seems to improve the problem to your satisfaction then you can look around for something a little more visually pleasing,...maybe some off-cuts of granite/marble.

ListeningEar, Feb 1, 2005
  20. amir

yogus

You have a width and length that are exact multiples of each other. This will result in a standing wave at around 40Hz and 80Hz. The 80Hz one is probably the nasty one, but the 40Hz one will give you the out of control sound or "one-note" bass.

Sounds like you're going to have to reposition your speakers or your seating position. Especially, don't sit right at the back of one of the walls as that's where one of the modes are going to be.

yogus, Feb 1, 2005
Ask a Question