DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ellisonwales, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ellisonwales

ellisonwales

I recently had Metallica "The Videos" bought for me on DVD.I played it on an XBOX360 (connected to marantz pm7200 ,quad 22l speakers) downstairs.I noticed the sound quality was something special straightaway on this DVD ,as i have other Metallica cds but this was something different.I read that it has been remastered on the DVD.So i thought id rip the audio out of the DVD and stick it on cd.Well it still sounds better than the original metallica cds i have but not as good as the DVD.I then learned that the DVD audio is sampled more and basically i wont be able to reproduce that audio on to CD.So is this the future of music?....on DVD rather than cd.What system would you folks recommend to play such DVDS and Cds?, or comment on ,regarding this?.
    TIA
    ellisonwales.

ellisonwales, Feb 20, 2007
  2. ellisonwales

Snoo

Hi Ellison. Looks like you are new to hi fi as a whole.

Regardless of the whole system you choose to buy, you will want to start with a player that is suitable for DVD-Audio (DVD-A). I'd reccomend getting one that will also play SACD (Super Audio CD). These will also play normal CD's.

Snoo, Feb 21, 2007
  3. ellisonwales

melorib Lowrider

I dont think that it is DVD-Audio, but normal DVD, DD or DTS...

Anyway, I have an universal player in my Riga system, it can read everything, well, almost, not the new HD formats...

melorib, Feb 21, 2007
  4. ellisonwales

ellisonwales

Thanks for replies.I am a little behind the times regarding hi-fi.I was quite happy with my cd sounds through ,a nad542 player,the marantz pm7200 amp and the quad speakers.However the sound of the metallica DVD (played it on an xbox360) was an eye opener compared to the cds.I did not play it in the 5.1 surround sound by the way.I played it in stereo (theres an option on the disc to choose).So basically will any DVD audio player (even the cheapest ones ) playing dvd audio ,sound better than a cd player (even the expensive ones) playing the same only on cd?.Anyone know anything about this player..?
    http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10745

After hearing the DVD audio i am tempted to get a player like that.I dont know how cds would sound compared to the nad though.Its all quite confusing with these new(ish) formats ,and im totally confused as to what players to look at.When it was just cd players ,id read about audiophile components under the hood etc ,etc ,but are these things relevant anymore with these DVD audio players?
    tia
    ellison

ellisonwales, Feb 21, 2007
  5. ellisonwales

melorib Lowrider

The CD player should sound better than same price DVD player, playing the same CD, now recording quality varies...

melorib, Feb 22, 2007
Ask a Question