DVD player into Acer

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by garyi, Aug 1, 2005.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Hello hello.

I have an Acer 26 inch flat screen TV. Its very nice good clean picture and HDTV compliant.

I also have a Pioneer DV-626D

TBH I don't watch DVDs very often. Infact I rarely watch them ever. However last night I watched Blue Velvet on DVD its possibly the first seriously sit down watchy DVD I have done since getting the Acer.

There was awful smearing on screen, the picture was watchable but not great by any means. To be perfectly honest I could easily believe I was watching SKY and not a DVD.

I have what would appear to be a quite a number of connection options and further choices with the DVD player menus.

At the moment the player is connected via a scart to scart, and another problem I seem to have is the screen would appear to be widescreen yet the DVD player outputs too the old 'letterbox' I then have to zoom the TV to get what is a slightly odd looking picture, like the old kung fu films!

Anyways, any ideas on how to move forward here?

garyi, Aug 1, 2005
  2. garyi

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi gary

Ive just bought a pioneer dvd and lcd. Had the same problem at start. Im also using a scart to scart.

It took a while but I found that the DVD player has settings for widescreen tv that you need to put it on, and that gets rid of the wasted screen space.

Hope that helps

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2005
  3. garyi

ads1

Gary

Which version of Blue Velvet is it? The special edition is a good transfer, but the earlier prism version was appaling, and could indeed be just as you described . See some of the comments about the transfer on Amazon.

Andy

ads1, Aug 2, 2005
  4. garyi

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunatly I can't get to grips with the DVD player on the video set up screen it has options for widescreen etc but won't let me adjust it, so it stays on standard TV configuration.

I am confident I am not getting what I should from this DVD player.

Could the scart be to blame. There is svideo and all sorts on the DVD player, what would be the best output option.

The picture is no great shakes, it looks like a compressed quicktime movie, on any DVDs, I know its not the Acer as I have seen one with a naim DVD player on it and it looked stunning.

garyi, Aug 12, 2005
  5. garyi

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

does it do component? that looks the best with my pioneer dvd

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2005
  6. garyi

I gave up and play dvds via the iBook which is about 10 times better.

garyi, Aug 15, 2005
Ask a Question