Dynamic Turtle needs a new phono stage - Budget up to £1500

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Markus S Trade

No, if BN likes the Cole enough to keep it, he will still take a hit at sell-on time, whenever that may be.

Markus S, Apr 22, 2006
  2. Dynamic Turtle

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

If there is sufficient interrest, I can discuss with Brian Cherry a suitable scheme of audition for the LCR Cole to see how we can make sure no-one looses out.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 22, 2006
  3. Dynamic Turtle

artist

if you go for a built unit it will cost around £1150 delivered,i am considering the eastern electric minimax phonostage which has very good reviews and with upgradeing the valves produces further sonic improvements and also has a 30 day moneyback from shadow audio

artist, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Can anyone confirm/dispel the myth that continental designed stages (German in particular) tend to roll-off bass? Was reading a back issue of HFW and they mentioned this about the AQVOX, hence the question....

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Dynamic Turtle

Oh, and can you give me a shout if you see any Audio Research PH3SE or PH5's going cheap - these look pretty interesting. KJw1 has one for £1500, but that's not enough of a discount! The BAT VK-P5 and Sutherland PhD look interesting too. Can't seem to find any ex-dem/used though.

Got a shock when I tried to find the rrp of the BAT stage. It was £1550 last time I looked (back in 2003 I think), its now £1895, even though the dollar is 20% weaker!! That sucks! Used prices on Audiogon are around $1250 :-(

The Cole and Minimax are on the cards if I can't find one of the above, and should be that bit cheaper.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 24, 2006
  6. Dynamic Turtle

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Apr 24, 2006
  7. Dynamic Turtle

anon_bb Honey Badger

If you are single source get a brinkman fein and throw away your pre.

anon_bb, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Dynamic Turtle

Bottleneck, the PH2 is very long in the tooth these days (1988?) but I guess its worth considering at the price.

BBV, I have two sources - occasionally 3 (when she who must be obeyed lets me play xbox in the lounge with my friends after school ;) )

The Fein's volume control looks like an ALPS black carbon pot which AFAIK isn't the last word. More importantly, it has no remote control, which as far as this lazy-arsed turtle is concerned, is an essential feature :)

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Dynamic Turtle

anon_bb Honey Badger

It probably is but cutting out a pre entirely is still big gain. You could always put in a stepped attenuator. Brinkmann is also making a statement phono which might be even better. However as you want multiple sources then it isnt an option anyway.

I am putting together my borbely unit this w/e - that has cost me about £750 altogether. I wil comapre with a MG+ as soon as I can and let you know.

anon_bb, Apr 25, 2006
  10. Dynamic Turtle

Well, I just got off the phone from Audiofreaks (enquiring about a conrad johnson EV1 they had on offer for £1200) and was greeted by the rudest man I've ever had the displeasure of speaking to. Don't know his name, but let's just say that it will be a very cold day in hell before I spend a penny there, or on any of the brands represented by them. Absolutely shocked by their attitude. Are these people completely allergic to doing business?

I wouldn't mind a CJ phono stage, but its very far from being the only decent one at the price! After this experience, I'd much rather go over-budget on a BAT from SOM than deal with Audiofreaks.

Classic line: "sir, we do not do deals or discount", (me) "well, why have you cut the price of the EV1 by £700 then"? (them) "special promotion sir". ROTFLMAO!!

Oh deary deary me.......

I strongly suggest other forum members think long & hard about dealing with these people and the brands represented - you have been warned.

DT

11. Dynamic Turtle

anon_bb Honey Badger

I had a similiar experience at a show after asking seriously after the kuzma airline at the audiofreaks stand. Branco (for it is he I am sure) is renowned for it.

The next rudest man is at the audio consultants in reading.

The third is probably me. :D

anon_bb, Apr 25, 2006
  12. Dynamic Turtle

Hi,

I see you encountered Branco.... :D

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 25, 2006
  13. Dynamic Turtle

I see this "Branco" is quite infamous then. I hope he slips and has a nasty accident whilst showering tomorrow.....

14. Dynamic Turtle

Dont let it put you off the products they import (its not the products fault the distributor is.... difficult).

Try Midland Audio Exchange and speak to John. He is on PFM sometimes, and occasionally here.

bottleneck, Apr 25, 2006
  15. Dynamic Turtle

It has put me off the products they import actually.

I question the judgement and logic of any manufacturer that thinks Branco is a good ambassador for their brand. Do they not have comprehensive discussions before signing distributions agreements and perform substantial due diligence on their business partners?

IMO, if you are an "exacting" individual and possess obsessive attention to detail when designing audio components, so to should you be as exacting and obsessive about those whom you choose to represent your business.

I can't for the life of me think why some of these brands choose Audiofreaks. Without being libelous, it certainly can't be for Branco's charming personality. Bizarre.

On the contrary, he seems to espouse the worst of all that goes with "high-end" hifi - snobbery, arrogance and a complete lack of respect for the customer (who in Branco's case, appears to be "guilty until proven innocent").

Comparing his behaviour & attitude to the first-class and extremely polite service one receives from Sounds of Music and Shadow, and one can but wonder how he manages to stay in business?

Russian Oligarchs, I'm thinking.....

DT

16. Dynamic Turtle

Stereo Mic

DT,

I enjoy getting back at Branco by investing in products he distributes - but getting them on Audiogon, paying a small fraction of the Freak's prices, and selling on, thereby devaluing the product in the long term.

I have the pleasure of being on his banned list. If you do buy from the States though, just make sure he knows it! And that the manufacturer is aware of why you went down that route.

I suspect Branco will give the industry up soon, a good thing for all IMO.

Stereo Mic, Apr 25, 2006
  17. Dynamic Turtle

Brilliant Mic - however:

1) I doubt stateside conrad johnson AD's are allowed to sell to UK residents - surely they'd forward me to Audiofreaks?

2) If I buy something on Audiogon (for at least 50% of his "bargian" prices) and need to have it serviced at some point, Can CJ refuse to service it, seeing as I bought it in the States rather than from Audiofreaks?

3) US gear is 110V, so how do I convert it to 240V?

4) I have lost all respect for CJ and as long as they are represented by Audiofreaks, will not buy any of their products. As I said earlier, what kind of company deals with Branco out of choice?!?!

Looks like its going to be a BAT VK-P5 or ARC PH3SE/PH5.....

DT

18. Dynamic Turtle

DT - who cares if CJ/Audiofreaks would service it?

When you're talking about valve gear, it's simple little circuits, and parts available to anybody.

Valve guitar techs are available in every town I've ever been in. A lot of these work on guitar amps more than hifi, but if you can do one, you can do the other.

bottleneck, Apr 25, 2006
  19. Dynamic Turtle

True, but CJ gear is PCB/suface mount, rather than hard-wired and uses proprietary capacitors AFAIK.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 26, 2006
  20. Dynamic Turtle

Hi,

Hmmm. Simple Little circuits? Like this?

http://www.mcmlv.org/Archive/HiFi/AR-VT130.pdf

That is the Audio Research VT-130.

CJ is not actually that bad, but might also challenge repairers of guitar amp's. I had an old (one of the very first ever) CJ Amp for a checkup because the two channels sounded very different.

As it turned out, it had at some time been repaired, expertly with regards to the Handiwork, but only the dead channel had been repaired and with parts rather different from those in the still original channel. The result - the sound was off....

Note, I do not recommend to buy from Branco.

However, I DO recommend to avoid most guitar amp service techs.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 26, 2006
Ask a Question